GOLF | Rough Day For Hoyas At Gridiron

After a promising third-place finish in the Maryland Intercollegiate, the Georgetown men’s golf team faltered at the Gridiron Classic on Monday and Tuesday. The Hoyas finished last in the 12-team event held in South Bend, Ind.

The Blue and Gray shot a 38-over par 598 on Monday and a 30-over par 310 Tuesday, giving them a final score of 68-over 908. Georgetown’s closest competitor, Miami University of Ohio, totaled a 55-over par 895 while the event’s champion, St. Mary’s College of California, recorded a 30-over par 870.

“Unfortunately, we did not perform well,” Head Coach Tommy Hunter said. “Inconsistency in scoring among our five players was our major downfall.”

The Blue and Gray’s top finisher was freshman Greg Podufal, who tied for 31st place with a score of 14-over par 224. Podufal had a solid first round, firing an even par 70, but he could not keep up his play, recording a 7-over par 77 in the final two rounds.

Senior Brian Dorfman also could not maintain his momentum after posting an impressive score in the first round. Dorfman carded a 1-over 71, but finished out the event with scores of 11 over par 81 and five over par 75 in the second and third rounds respectively. The senior co-captain finished in a tie for 42nd, shooting 17-over par 227.

Georgetown’s other co-captain, senior Taylor Hall, ended the event in a tie for 61st place with 22 over par, 232, posting his best round of the weekend in the second round with a four over 74.

Junior Curtis Loop also finished 22 over par while performing his best in the second round, when he carded a two over par 72. However, 80-shot performances in both the first and third rounds ruined his chances of finishing higher.

Freshman Brian Tohir came in 68th place with a 28 over par 238. Tohir struggled as the event progressed, notching scores of seven over par 77, eight over par 78, and 13 over par 83, respectively.

“Playing conditions were very challenging yet we will not use that as an excuse — we simply did not play our best,” Hunter said. “We could only muster a few good, solid scores in each set of 18 holes and that is not going to get the job done at this level of golf.”

The Hoyas will look to improve their scores this Sunday when they travel to Fort Myers, Fla. for the Renaissance Invitational hosted by Xavier.

“Our focus now is on the Xavier event,” Hunter said. “Once again, we will face a challenging field and we hope to turn things around. Eliminating mental mistakes is a key to good golf — we need to do a better job of that this coming weekend.”