GOLF | Women Finish Last, Men Prepare for Big East Tourney

As the Georgetown men’s golf team prepares for the beginning of their Big East championship, the women’s squad is looking ahead to next spring after an eighth-place finish in their conference tournament.

Held April 22-24 in Orlando, South Florida emerged as the victor in the women’s championship. The Hoyas’ 103-over par 967 through the three days was the worst in the tournament. Barring a highly unlikely NCAA invite, the women will have to regroup over the summer in preparation for their second season under Head Coach Katie Brophy.

But despite the last place finish, the Blue and Gray could be cheered by some strong individual performances. Sophomore Alice Choi, in particular, performed very well and finished 14th individually at 19-over par.

Junior Katie Skinner finished in 27th overall and seniors Joan Dulieu and Eunae Jo were close behind in 29th and 30th, respectively. Junior Audrey Dalton finished in 40th place.

While the women have returned to the Hilltop, the men are making their final tune-ups for their portion of the championship, which will run April 29-May 1, also in Orlando.

“It is our last event of the season and one we try to peak for every year,” men’s golf Head Coach Tommy Hunter said. “A lot is on the line, and the guys know it is going to take three solid rounds to compete with the front-runners.”

The high stakes Hunter is referring to is the NCAA tournament bid that the Hoyas could earn automatically with a Big East championship victory. But high- caliber teams such as Notre Dame, St. John’s, Louisville and South Florida are standing in Georgetown’s way.

Five golfers will represent the Blue and Gray in Orlando: seniors Brian Dorfman and Taylor Hall in the No. 1 and No. 2 spots, freshman Greg Podufal at No. 3, sophomore Charlie von Arentschildt at No. 4 and junior Justin Edwards at No. 5.

“Dorfman and Hall will lead the way; they are experienced and know what it takes to succeed in an event like this,” Hunter said. “Podufal certainly is battle tested, as is von Arentschildt, [and] Edwards continues to gain confidence in each competitive round he plays.”

The tournament tees off in Orlando at noon Sunday and Hunter and his team are anxious for the start.

“We are excited to get down there and for the first ball to get in the air,” he said.