GU Improves After Weekend Regattas Against Local Foes

Georgetown crew competed in two races over the weekend, the Navy Day Regatta in Philadelphia on Saturday and the Occoquan Chase in Sandy Run, Va. on Sunday.

In Philadelphia, the men’s lightweight four team was one of three first-place Georgetown teams. The team overwhelmed its competition, beating out second-place Delaware by 45 seconds and third-place Lafayette by 1:45 in the five-team field.

The lightweight eight boat placed two boats in the 11-boat field. Georgetown finished second behind always-competitive Navy by a margin of 13 seconds. A second Hoya boat finished ninth.

In the open-eight, Georgetown finished third behind two service academies. Navy, at home on the water, finished in 13:08.20 while its archrival, Army, finished much closer to Georgetown, only .5 seconds ahead, 13:22.70 to 13:23.20.

The women’s lightweight four had a smaller field – only three boats – but was clearly the best boat, finishing in first by a margin of one minute over Lafayette and Lehigh.

The women’s open-four boats finished seventh, 10th and 16th in their race, while the open-eight team’s two boats finished eighth and ninth in their race, which Penn won by a hair over Navy. Navy finished in 14:55.10, two-tenths of a second behind Penn. Third-place Ithaca finished nearly 40 seconds behind at 15:32.90. Both Georgetown boats needed more than 16 minutes to finish the race.

On Sunday, a smaller contingent of freshman and novice heavyweight men traveled to Sandy Run, Va. and raced in the Occoquan Chase. The open-four boat finished second to George Washington by a margin of four seconds.

The open eight-boat also finished second to George Washington, while Georgetown placed all five of its teams in the top eight of the race.

All crews return to action this weekend in Boston, Mass. at the famed Head of the Charles Regatta.