GU Reaches Final Four in California, Falls to Middlebury

Just as American pioneers pushed westward toward California throughout the 19th century, the members of the Georgetown University Rugby Football Club were trailblazers in their recent trip to the Golden State.

Following a 34-13 drubbing of the University of Maine-Orono in the Sweet 16 on April 17 and a 20-17 win over Cal Maritime in the Elite Eight the next day, the Hoyas traveled to the campus of Stanford University in Palo Alto for a May 1 showdown with Middlebury College – a three-time Final Four team. After building an 8-5 halftime lead, Georgetown saw things fall apart in the second half as Middlebury, the eventual Division-II national champions, poured it on to close out a 45-18 victory.

“We just had a loss of focus in the second half,” junior captain Phil Cooney said. “We got away from the way he played all season. I think an edge that Middlebury had was their experience on that stage – they’ve been to the Final Four three years in a row.”

Still, the Blue and Gray’s trip to the national semifinal is something for GURFC and the entire Hilltop community to take pride in. The 2008-2009 Hoyas now join the 2004-2005 squad as one of the only two Georgetown teams to reach the Final Four in GURFC history.

“If we had known back in February or at the beginning of the fall season [that we would make it to the Final Four], we would have worked even harder,” Cooney said. “Now we’ve been there and it’s a realistic goal and something that we expect.”

Something less pleasant that the Hoyas had already expected before boarding their cross-country flight was the reality of final exams and papers. While most Georgetown students were setting up camp somewhere in the depths of Lauinger Library, Sellinger Lounge or elsewhere, rugby players were studying while either traveling or preparing for the biggest match of their lives.

“I was actually writing a paper at 1 a.m. California time, which is 4 a.m. back home, the night before our game,” Cooney said. “There was a group of guys down in the library basically the whole time, so we had a makeshift library.”

Added junior John Llaneza, who missed the entire season rehabbing from a knee injury: “There were a lot of guys doing work there – one guy even had an exam proctored in the hotel. It goes to show the sacrifices that everyone has had to make to achieve the success that they have.”

Llaneza joined his teammates in California despite his inability to suit up against Middlebury and did not let his injury deter him from doing other things to support his team.

“It was great to be there, but it was definitely hard for me not to be out there,” he said. “To not be able to play was disappointing, but my heart was pounding the entire time on the sidelines. I was more than happy to cheer on my teammates . It was great to see their hard work pay off and for them to reap the benefits of success.”

Without question, the achievements of these Hoyas will not only pay dividends for the long-term growth of the program but for the immediate future as well. The team will lose only 12 seniors to graduation and for those present in Palo Alto earlier this month, being so close to a national championship will make them work that much harder in the offseason.

“We have a lot of good, young talent on this team,” Cooney said. “[Senior center Sean McNamara] dislocated his shoulder in the first two minutes and a freshman replaced him. He looked like a deer in the headlights at first, but he stepped in and played great for us. Our two scores came from two freshmen. This experience was definitely good news for the program and it will impact our training in the offseason.”

The end of one of the greatest seasons in GURFC history is an appropriate time for members of the squad to reflect on all that has happened, but it can also be an opportunity for them to set even loftier goals. After all, there is always room for improvement.

“The day after the semifinal game, [Cooney] and a couple other guys were working out in the weight room at the hotel,” Llaneza said. “Only 364 days until the national championship.”