GU Rugby Teams Rough It Up

Rugby might be a rough sport to play, but Georgetown can be proud to boast two top-flight club teams.

Women’s club rugby team president Mary Keegin (SFS ’07) said that she and her teammates love every minute of playing rugby.

“We are unique because we are 100 percent self-made,” she said. “We have some very committed players who do everything for the team. It’s hard because we could be awesome if we didn’t have to organize everything.”

According to Keegin, the biggest problems the team faces are recruiting enough players and raising the funds to keep the team playing. One fundraiser that the women’s rugby team created is LUNAfest, a film festival that features short films that relate to women and their issues. The team donates some of the proceeds to the Breast Cancer Fund.

So far, the team has only played one game, a victory over Mt. St. Mary’s. The women have three more games remaining, facing Catholic at home, Salisbury away and George Washington at home.

Keegin said that the women continue to search for more players.

The men’s side of Georgetown club rugby plays a full slate of games in both the fall and the spring. With an 11-0-1 record, the men have been enormously successful and will be playing in the id-Atlantic Rugby Football Union’s playoffs this coming weekend.

The men that play club rugby for Georgetown have an intense dedication to the game. The team practices four days a week, either on Kehoe Field or by the Lincoln Memorial on West Potomac Field.

Since their division has produced the last three national title winners, some players believe Georgetown’s club team has an excellent chance to win it all this year.

But despite the success, team treasurer John Kolleng (MSB ’06) said his team does not always receive the attention it deserves.

“We get very little exposure and support from people other than friends and family and former players so it is difficult for us to find playing fields and practice fields,” he said.