GU Splits Weekend Series Behind Carter

Mackensey Carter was very busy on Wednesday evening in a doubleheader against Rutgers University. After pitching a two-hit shutout in the first game, Carter, a sophomore, drove in the Hoyas’ lone run in the second game and pitched five innings, allowing just one earned run. Carter’s efforts helped Georgetown (17-27, 6-10 Big East) split the doubleheader. The Hoyas won the first game 1-0 and dropped the second game 7-1.

Carter has been a dual threat at the plate and on the mound all season. She currently leads the Hoyas in batting average (.354), earned run average (2.47), and wins (8).

The first game featured a pitching duel between Carter and the Scarlet Knights’ Nicole Lindley, as neither team scored until the sixth inning. Carter struck out two and allowed only two hits in seven innings of work.

The Blue and Gray were able to break the deadlock in their half of the sixth inning. Senior third baseman Demetria Cipriano opened the frame with a walk, which was followed by a bunt single by freshman catcher Shikara Lowe and a sacrifice bunt by sophomore first baseman Cara Savarese. Savarese’s bunt put runners on second and third for junior third baseman McKinley Cooper who singled home Cipriano for the game’s first and only run. Although the Hoyas failed to tack on any insurance runs, Carter was able to pitch around a hit batter and sealed the 1-0 victory with a scoreless seventh.

In the second game, offense was not a problem for the Scarlet Knights. The visitors wasted no time against senior right-hander Jennifer Connell, who surrendered two runs (one earned) before being pulled for Carter with two outs in the inning. Georgetown’s first threat came when they loaded the bases with one out in the fourth inning thanks to a leadoff single by Carter, a Rutgers throwing error, and a walk from Lowe. Unfortunately for the Blue and Gray, Savarese then lined into a double play to end the threat.

The score remained unchanged until the top half of the sixth, when sloppy fielding by the Hoyas ended any hope for a comeback. Rutgers’ second baseman Jennifer Harabedian reached on an error to open the inning, and it only got worse from there. By the end of the inning the Hoyas had committed three errors leading to five runs, only one of which was earned.

The Hoyas showed a little life in bottom of the sixth, but it was too little, too late. Senior second baseman Kelsie Hanson doubled to right-center to open the inning, and then Carter brought her home with a single. Hanson was the final player to cross the plate on the day, and Rutgers won by a score of 7-1.

Georgetown will be on the road in Chicago this weekend for a three game set with DePaul. The Hoyas and the Blue Demons will face off in a doubleheader on Saturday before finishing with one game on Sunday.