GUSA Executive Invites Discussion

To the Editor:

As newly inaugurated president and vice president of the Georgetown University Student Association, we want to take this opportunity to address some of the issues that have arisen during our first few weeks in office. Already, we’re excited about the progress we’ve been able to make. We look forward to working together with students in the coming year to address their concerns and make the Hilltop a better place.

First, we’re glad to see students engaged in the Georgetown Day planning process. Right now, there are about 20 committed students pushing forward on logistics and writing a budget. As of now, Georgetown Day plans include a chicken wing-eating contest in Red Square, Georgetown Program Board activities, free makeovers by MAC, food provided by Aramark, dance group performances and a Guild of Bands concert. The committee is quickly moving forward on programming, and we’re excited about the new ideas they have proposed.

We’re also very grateful that students have begun sincere consideration of our proposal for an optional, private LGBTQ-friendly checkbox on CHARMS. We hope to continue talking about how Georgetown can best support students who may feel marginalized, unwelcome or even unsafe on the Hilltop.

In the coming weeks, we look forward to explaining our initiatives in greater depth. Please feel free to reach out to us on Facebook, Twitter or at our office hours on Monday evenings. Drop by and tell us whatever is on your mind in any way you feel comfortable. We look forward to working with you.

Clara Gustafson (SFS ’13)

Vail Kohnert-Yount (SFS ’13)