GUSA Hopefuls Revealed

Although students running for GUSA president and vice president cannot formally declare their candidacy until Thursday, attendance at mandatory information sessions Jan. 31 and Feb. 4 offered an unofficial confirmation of the five tickets entering the 2013 race.

The Georgetown University Student Association election committee required students to attend one of the two sessions in order to appear on the Feb. 21 ballot. There were a total of 10 students in attendance, and multiple sources confirm that the presidential and vice presidential pairings include: Spencer Walsh (MSB ’14) and Robert Silverstein (SFS ’14); Jack Appelbaum (COL ’14) and Maggie Cleary (COL ’14); Shavonnia Corbin-Johnson (SFS ’14) and Joe Vandegriff (COL ’14); NateTisa (SFS ’14) and Adam Ramadan (SFS ’14); and Cannon Warren (COL ’14) and Andrew Logerfo(COL ’14).

The group features no underclassmen and no varsity athlete candidate, which ends a two-year trend of members of the men’s basketball team running for executive office. Walsh was a former member of the men’s varsity swimming team.

Tisa and Cleary both ran for the GUSA executive in 2012. Tisa, who ran on an all-sophomore ticket, finished in sixth place out of seven candidates with 322 first-place votes. Cleary, who will again run for vice president, placed fourth with 415 first-place votes.

One ticket features candidates with no experience holding a position in GUSA. Walsh serves as president of Club Cycling, and Silverstein is a member of the Philodemic Society and a former member of the College Democrats executive board.

Appelbaum is a former Student Activities Commission chair and current director of student life report implementation, while his running mate, Cleary, is a former president of the College Republicans and a member of the Philodemic Society.

Corbin-Johnson has been a member of the GUSA senate since her freshman year and is director of the Gospel Choir, a board member of the Latin American Student Association and a member of the Black Student Association. Vandegriff is a former president of the College Democrats and a member of Sigma Phi Epsilon.

Warrenis a two-year GUSA senator, and his running mate, Logerfo, is accounting controller of Students of Georgetown, Inc.

Tisa is speaker of the GUSA senate as well as a former board member of GU Pride. His running mate, Ramadan, is a manager at Hoya Snaxa and a board member of Hoya Blue.

Correction: An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated that no potential GUSAcandidates were members of the current executive staff. Appelbaum is a member of the executive staff. 

Potential GUSA candidates attended an information session Monday night to prepare for the campaign process.