GUSA Representative Calls For Harrington’s Resignation

After two disappointing losses at the University of Maryland Invitational last weekend, the Georgetown field hockey team rebounded with a 3-1 victory over Ursinus College last Sunday. This win brought the Hoyas record to 3-4 for the season. Both Georgetown and Ursinus had a difficult first half. The Hoyas had 15 shots on goal, none of which made it into the net. The Bears struggled both defensively to keep the Hoyas away from the goal and offensively, missing all three of their shots. The game was tied 0-0 at the half. Going into the second half, the Hoyas stepped up the intensity of the game. “The second half was definitely better,” Head Coach Kim Simons said. “We had glimpses of the effort and aggression we want.” Twelve minutes into the second half, sophomore midfielder Sarah Oglesby scored an unassisted goal against Ursinus’ goalkeeper Liz Ashwork. Seven minutes later, sophomore forward Caitlin McLean scored another goal off of Ashwork. Coming off the bench for Ursinus, freshman midfielder Tara Lucas scored the Bears’ only goal with 9:34 left in the half. It was the only goal allowed by senior goalkeeper Lori Sousa. Georgetown answered back a minute later when Oglesby scored a second goal, this time off an assist by senior Abi Walker. Lack of aggression on offense and a weak defense have been consistent problems for the Hoyas all season. “We really need to cut down on the number of shots we let the other teams take,” said Simons. The offensive contributions by Oglesby and McLean carried the team in the second half. Simons believes that this was just a glimpse of the strong offense that Oglesby can play. McLean, often a big scorer for the Hoyas, played the game with a broken thumb and without even wearing a cast. When the defense is lax, the Hoyas depend on Sousa. “She’s one of the best keepers in the country,” Simons said. Simons applauded Sousa’s ability to remain focused in a game where there were very few shots taken against her. The Bears had only five shots on goal the entire game. Sousa is currently ranked sixth in the country among save leaders with 73 saves in six games. While the victory was reassuring for the team, the biggest challenges of the season are yet to come. The Hoyas will travel to Towson University this Wednesday. “Towson is aggressive and tenacious, plus they’re a good grass team,” Simons said. In October, the Hoyas will play several difficult matches. They will play Virginia, William and Mary and Rutgers, all top 20 ranked teams.