Gustafson Wins Election

Clara Gustafson (SFS ’13) and Vail Kohnert-Yount (SFS ’13) won this year’s GUSA executive election with just over 50 percent of the vote in the sixth and final round.

About 3,700 ballots were cast in the election, a record-high turnout for any Georgetown University Student Association vote.

This year’s race marked the fi rst time that more than 50 percent of the student body participated in an election or referendum.

The number of ballots cast surpassed the previous executive election record set in 2010, in which 3,089 total votes were counted. This year’s election beat that mark by 1 p.m. Thursday, at which time the polls had been open for just under 15 hours.

The previous record for any student vote — 3,554 votes in the 2006 GUSA Accountability and Reform Referendum, which gave the Senate Finance and Appropriations Committee control over the student activities fee — was broken by 10 p.m. Thursday.

The 2010 contest saw the re-election of incumbents Calen Angert (MSB ’11) and Jason Kluger (MSB’11). Four tickets vied for the presidency that year; this year, seven did.

Election Commissioner Adam Giansiracusa (SFS ’12) attributed this year’s high voter turnout to the large field and competitiveness of the race.

“It’s great for GUSA and great for the university as a whole that so many students were involved in the process,” he said.