History Awaits if Defensive Unit Can Turn the Corner

In order to defeat the reigning Patriot League Champions and accomplish something Georgetown has not done in 10 years, the team will need its offensive and defensive leaders to step up. The Hoyas need to stop the Holy Cross passing attack and must have a powerful running and passing game of their own. Georgetown will look for solid play from senior slot receiver Keerome Lawrence, junior running back Chance Logan, junior defensive back Jayah Kaisamba and sophomore defensive back Jeremy Moore.

Keerome Lawrence

Since six of nine touchdowns that opponents have scored on Holy Cross this season have come through the air, Georgetown’s top receiver will be crucial this Saturday. “In my opinion Keerome is one of the best athletes in the Patriot League and our quarterbacks have done a good job of getting him the football,” Head Coach Kevin Kelly said. Lawrence leads the Hoyas with 202 receiving yards this season and has also caught one touchdown pass this season. Lawrence is also coming off his best game of the season last week: Against Yale, he amassed 129 receiving yards and also rushed for a touchdown. Lawrence’s dual ability to run and pass will be especially important this weekend with Holy Cross. “Keerome is very dynamic when he gets the ball and gets into space,” Kelly said.

Chance Logan

Though the Crusaders are especially vulnerable to passing touchdowns, much of the damage done against them has been on the ground. Opponents have averaged 186 rushing yards against Holy Cross, usually using two or even three running backs. So far this year, Logan has been Georgetown’s second featured back, but leads the Hoyas with 5.7 yards per carry. “Chance is a different style runner [than junior Philip Oladeji]. He has a good shake and wiggle and makes guys miss. He is not quite as big but is physical,” Kelly said. Logan started off Georgetown’s scoring against Lafayette with a rushing touchdown, his lone rushing touchdown of the season. The Hoyas will need this type of running production homecoming weekend.

Jayah Kaisamba

When the Crusaders have had offensive success this year, it has been through the air, where they have registered five of their six touchdowns on the season. Kaisamba will be essential to stopping this pass attack. Kaisamba is fourth on the team with 17 tackles and has two interceptions, one of which stopped Lafayette’s last-gap comeback attempt. With about a minute left and the score at 28-24, the Leopards were driving when Kaisamba snatched the ball out of the air and fell to the ground at the three-yard line, sealing the upset win for the Hoyas. Kaisamba’s ballhawking has allowed Georgetown to achieve a great turnover ratio, which has been important to success this season.

“We are leading the league in turnover ratio; we are plus-three in that category,” Kelly said. “The turnover ratio is a huge factor in whether or not we win a game. In the past few years we have been negative, but if we keep in the plus area we have an opportunity to win games.”

Jeremy Moore

oore, who returned a kickoff for a touchdown against Yale last week and earned Patriot League team of the week honors, will also be crucial to Georgetown’s pass defense. The defensive back is tied for second on the team with 18.5 tackles and has compiled a team-high five pass deflections, four of which came against Yale last week.

“He has made a lot of big plays so far this year including in the Yale game,” Kelly said. “They tried to go deep on us a couple of times and he made some very athletic plays for us.”