Hooray for JT III

One may wonder just how much six years of John Thompson III is worth to this university. Chances are, according to estimates, it’s close to seven figures annually.

With this signing, our hopes for basketball glory in years to come will only intensify. With the news of JT III staying with the Hoyas, many alumni and students are breathing a sigh of relief – genuinely believing that the new era of Georgetown basketball success will continue.

So, what does this mean for our team and campus? We can expect another season of exciting basketball games, high expectations for the NCAA tournament and Final Four, and soaring school spirit. We can hold our heads high and be proud to be students at the school associated with the one and only JT III. We can revel in the fact that Thompson chose, for now, to stay at Georgetown despite fragile facilities and perhaps lesser pay than he might have gotten at another big basketball school. Thanks, JT III.

Of course, whatever the exact dollar figure is (the university did not announce the terms of the contract), it’s a lot of money. It is probably more than any other university official earns. In the perfect world, we could allocate some of these precious resources elsewhere. There are certainly other projects here at Georgetown – maintaining the Dahlgren Chapel, modernizing and expanding Lauinger library, or even promoting the success of other impressive Georgetown teams like lacrosse or sailing – that deserve increased attention.

But, at the end of the day, we recognize that the impressive results the Hoyas have turned in over the past few years – and, if JT III keeps it up, are likely to turn in yet again this season – are worth the investment. This is a well-deserved, hearty bonus for all the hard work and dedication Thompson has put into making this team and university a nationally recognized enterprise once more.

We are glad to join the rest of this university in looking forward to what the next six years of Hoya basketball will bring.