Hoyas No. 3 in Big East Preseason Poll

The first Big East men’s lacrosse poll of the 2010 season is out, and Georgetown has been awarded the third-place ranking before its first season in the league even gets started. The conference’s seven head coaches voted but were not allowed to vote for their own programs. Syracuse, the two-time defending national champion, was selected as the Big East’s preseason favorite. Notre Dame came in at No. 2, and following the Hoyas were Villanova, Rutgers, St. John’s and Providence, respectively.

The Hoyas were represented in the conference individual preseason awards in addition to their top-three ranking; Georgetown senior defender Barney Ehrmann was named preseason defensive player of the year. In 2009, he played in all 14 of the Hoyas’ games and led the team with 62 ground balls.

Last year was disappointing for the Blue and Gray, which managed only a .500 record of 7-7 and missed the NCAA championships for just the second time in the last 13 years. This year, senior midfielders Andrew Brancaccio and Scott Kocis will join Ehrmann in an attempt to turn things around. Brancaccio played in 14 games as well last season and finished fourth on the team with 25 assists and second with 22 goals; Kocis started every game in 2009 and finished second on the squad with 29 points. He was right behind Brancaccio with 21 goals.

The leader of the attack will be senior Craig Dowd, a Big East preseason at-large pick, who led the team with 33 points and 23 assists last season. The trio of Dowd, Ehrmann and Kocis hauled in All-ECAC honors a year ago and will look to do the same in 2010, this time in the Big East.”