Hoyas Rounding Into Form

After a difficult start to their season, Georgetown women’s volleyball (3-5) has started to pick up thier play, going 2-2 in the past week. The Hoyas notched a win against Fordham at the competitive Maryland Invitational and also won their home opener against Howard on Wednesday night.

Georgetown recorded a season-high .387 hitting percentage against Howard and appears to be headed in the right direction.

“We have certainly improved, but we are still working on our connection, and it’s still early,” Head Coach Arlisa Williams said.

Last weekend, the Hoyas participated in the Maryland Invitational in College Park, Md. In their opening match against Bradley on Friday, Georgetown got off to a hot start, winning the first set 25-21 with the help of a pair of clutch plays from senior outside hitters Samantha Trauth and Kortney Robinson; Trauth killed the ball for one point and Robinson served an ace for the other.

After the strong first set, though, the Hoyas collapsed and allowed the Braves to take the next three sets. In the final set, Georgetown went behind early by six points but battled to reduce the lead. Bradley, however, took the game and match 25-23. Trauth, Robinson and junior setter Ashley Malone finished with double-doubles.

The following day, the Hoyas were on fire at the onset once again. This time they were able to translate it into a match win over Fordham. Georgetown completely dominated the first set, going up 5-1 early. Trauth and sophomore middle blocker Lindsay Wise each recorded four kills in a convincing 25-14 set win.

Georgetown continued its solid play in the second set, winning six of the first seven points of the frame. Freshman middle blocker Elizabeth Riggins recorded the winning point with her fifth kill of the set.

The Hoyas fell behind at the beginning of the third set, but responded to take a 7-6 lead. Georgetown kept that advantage for good and won the match 25-17. Robinson and Riggins each notched 10 kills.

Georgetown was not able to carry its momentum into the second game of the day against host Maryland, however.

“In the second game we played a physical Maryland team. They played lights out and we didn’t,” Williams said.

Georgetown was outplayed in the first and third sets, losing 25-15 and 25-17, respectively. The Hoyas came closest in the second set when they tied the set at 22, but were ultimately defeated 25-23.

On Wednesday night, the Blue and Gray returned to McDonough Arena for their home opener against Howard (1-7). After losing the first point of the match, Georgetown answered with a 6-1 run to take a lead they would not relinquish. A kill by Riggins allowed the Hoyas to stretch their advantage to eight at 21-13 and an attacking error by Howard ended the match, 25-17.

Once again, the Hoyas started off slow in the second set but quickly countered to tie the game at seven. Kills by Trauth and redshirt freshman middle blocker Annalee Abell then put Georgetown up 9-7. At 12-11, Howard cut the deficit to one point, but Georgetown responded with an impressive 13-2 run to end the set, 25-13. Trauth’s serving game and Robinson’s five set kills were crucial to finishing off the Bison.

Georgetown took a quick 6-1 advantage in the third set. Trauth ended the set and match, 25-17, with two aces.

“We did some things well, but we weren’t as disciplined as we hoped to be. But all in all, we are happy to win,” Williams said.

Freshman outside hitter Brooke Bachesta hit a strong .600 efficiency and notched nine kills, leading Georgetown to a season-high .387 hitting percentage.

“We still have a lot to work on. Ashley [Malone] and I connected well today,” Bachesta said.

alone recorded her 11th double-double of the season with 27 assists and 12 digs.

“We had a good defensive effort, and we really came together. It is a big boost of confidence,” Malone said.

Hopefully the Hoyas can carry this confidence into their upcoming road trip. This weekend Georgetown will travel north for the Blackbird Invitational in Brooklyn, N.Y.

“We are pretty excited to get on the road. It will be a challenging weekend for us,” Williams said.