Hoyas’ Season Ends in Final Four

ATLANTA, March 31 – The road ends here, as does the dream for Georgetown.

After four come-from-behind victories to get to the Final Four, the magic finally ran out for the Hoyas as top-ranked Ohio State defeated second-seeded Georgetown, 67-60, on Saturday night.

“We all are very disappointed with tonight’s outcome,” Georgetown Head Coach John Thompson III said after the loss. “But we played against a very good team that played very well tonight.”

With the victory the Buckeyes (35-3) advance to the national title game for the first time since 1962. They will face Florida on onday night.

“We beat – no question – one of the best basketball teams we’ve played this year,” Ohio State Head Coach Thad Matta. “I couldn’t be prouder of our guys for executing our game plan.”

Using a zone defense that had the Hoyas (30-7) looking baffled in the first half, the Buckeyes held a comfortable lead for most of the opening stanza and led the Hoyas by four, 27-23, at the half.

Georgetown came back to take the lead early in the second half on a three pointer by sophomore guard Jessie Sapp, but the Buckeyes responded with a 5-0 run over the next 90 seconds to regain a sizable lead.

The Hoyas again battled back to a tie game at 44-all when junior guard Jonathan Wallace drilled a three with just under 10 minutes remaining, but again the Buckeyes responded with a 7-0 run and Georgetown would not get closer than within four points for the rest of the night.

Before the game, analysts billed Georgetown junior captain Jeff Green as the potential difference-maker against Ohio State, as many thought the Buckeyes had no answer for the versatile forward. Yet Green was the key to the contest opposite the way that most expected, his selflessness becoming a liability instead of an asset against the Buckeyes.

The Big East player of the year was ineffective on the night, scoring just nine points while attempting only five field goals. Green never found his rhythm and was held to his fewest shots attempted in 23 games.

“I didn’t want to force anything, so I just took what they gave me,” Green said of his unassertive play. “I wasn’t expecting to get a lot of shots. Their defense played a major part in that.”

Green’s ineffectiveness may have been the source of the Hoyas’ loss – Georgetown is just 3-for-9 this season in games that Green does not score in double-digits – but it was largely overlooked as the focus was on the battle of the big men, with 7-foot-2 junior Roy Hibbert going up against 7-foot freshman Greg Oden. The game did not fully live up to the hype, however, as Hibbert and Oden were on the floor together for only 14 minutes.

Oden sat for all but three minutes of the first half with fouls and both players found themselves in foul trouble down the stretch, limiting Oden to just 20 minutes and Hibbert to 24.

But when Hibbert and Oden were on the floor – especially when the other big man was sitting – they were the difference makers. Hibbert scored nine of his 19 points while Oden was out and both of Ohio State’s runs in the second half came with Hibbert sitting on the bench in foul trouble.

“It’s frustrating,” Hibbert said of watching from the bench as the Buckeyes went on each of their runs, “but I have total faith in my teammates.”

On the night the Buckeyes shot 43.9 percent from the floor and just 28.6 percent from deep. The Hoyas shot 49 percent overall and 33.3 percent from downtown, but hit a season-worst 37.5 percent of their free throws, getting to the line just eight times while sending Ohio State to the charity stripe 19 times.

All 60 of Georgetown’s points came from their starters, with the junior class accounting for all but 13 of the Hoyas points. Hibbert and Wallace both finished with 19 and Sapp added in 10. Freshman forward DaJuan Summers, perhaps rattled by playing in such an important game, went just 1-for-10 with three points on the night.

The Buckeyes were led by their freshman class, as the team was paced by guard Mike Conley Jr. (15 points) and Oden (13). Junior guard Jamar Butler rounded out Ohio State’s double-digit scorers with 10 points.

Points off turnovers, as much as any other statistic, killed the Hoyas’ chance of advancing to their first title game in over two decades. Georgetown had 14 turnovers – its highest number of turnovers since having 19 against Connecticut – and Ohio State converted the turnovers into 22 points. The Buckeyes also had 14 fastbreak points to the Hoyas’ four.

And while the loss to the Buckeyes was disappointing, the Hoyas were proud of their best season in 22 years.

“We had a great season, regular Big East champions, Big East champions of the tournament,” Green said. “To make it this far in the tournament, it’s hard to end it like this, but we had a great run.”