Hoyas Take First Series of Season

It hasn’t snowed lately in Davidson, N.C., and Head Coach Pete Wilk and the Hoyas could not be happier about that.

Over the weekend, the Georgetown baseball team (2-1) got off to a winning start – and had the chance to play outdoors for the first time since the Snowpocalypse – taking two of three games on the road at the Davidson Wildcats (1-2).

In the first game of the series on Friday night, Georgetown senior starter Tim Adleman allowed just five hits and one run in six-plus innings. Junior catcher Erick Fernandez and junior third baseman Sean Lamont drove in three runs apiece, and the Hoyas won 6-2 in the season opener.

On Saturday afternoon, the Hoyas waited until the ninth inning to secure the victory. After blowing an early 6-0 lead and coming into the top of the ninth down 8-7, the visitors rallied in dramatic fashion. Senior left fielder Billy Cupelo tied the game with a sacrifice fly, junior first baseman Dan Capeless gave Georgetown a one-run lead with a double to left, then senior second baseman Chip Malt provided some insurance with a two-run single. From there, junior reliever Jared Cohen clinched the 11-8 win with a perfect bottom of the ninth, earning his first save of the season.

Hoping for a sweep on Sunday in the series finale, the Hoyas came up short in an 11-3 loss. The team had its chances early, putting runners on base in three of the first five innings, but the Hoyas were unable to break through against Davidson starter Ryan Overcash.

Despite the defeat, Georgetown comes away with a winning record as it prepares for its first home series of 2010. The NYIT Bears visit Shirley Povich Field for a three-game set starting this Friday.