In Defense of Hip-Hop

To the Editor:

Re: “Hip-Hop Unworthy of Academia”

Since when has vulgarity been a valid indicator of cultural insignificance, and at what point did we decide that academia’s scope of study should be limited to the sterile? Author Jerry D. Rassias posits that hip-hop is “immoral” and should be viewed neither as a credible means of communication nor a legitimate area of academic study. In one fell swoop, Rassias fails to comprehend the genres that he so vehemently combats, cheapens an art form that largely defines African-American culture and makes dangerous overgeneralizations.

Though I agree with Rassias’ claim that “it is hard to argue the merit of rap music based on lyrics,” I stand in diametric opposition to his beliefs. When the idea of “morality” is called into play to limit the purview of what can and cannot be included in academia, we hinder scholarly growth. Academia serves to advance our knowledge as a species, improve our understanding of the world and inform us as to what lies ahead.

Allowing stereotypes and misunderstanding to get in the way of our collective intellectual progress sets a dangerous precedent. If Rassias is truly looking for a reason to call our modern values into question, perhaps he should consider the nescience of his own argument and the destructive consequences thereof.

Connor Rohan

COL ’16