Indie Singer’s Diamond Darkened by Troubles

MY BRIGHTEST DIAMOND
MY BRIGHTEST DIAMOND

My Brightest Diamond, the project of musician Shara Worden, has amassed an impressive list of accomplishments that would make any indie singer-songwriter green with envy. Her newly released third album All Things Will Unwind is a collaboration with six-piece chamber group Music and proves to be a successful experiment in orchestral pop and folk.

The album opens with the deceptively cartoonish “We Added It Up.” In it, Worden sings about a doomed relationship as a flute complements her grand range; Worden’s operatic training is obvious, though not over the top or bombastic.

“Reaching Through the Other Side” takes a darker, more reverb-laden turn. Instead of a distinct melody, there is a sort of showcase of the instrumentation to come. Punchy drums open the song, and a string and woodwind sections serve as further complements to Worden’s voice. Free-verse lyrics make it obvious why My Brightest Diamond is frequently referred to as “avant-garde.” Her almost stream of consciousness lyrical style is interesting, but alone it is not cutting edge. It’s the way she backdrops them with patterned string and horn sections that distinguishes her from other female indie singers like Feist or Regina Spektor.

All Things Will Unwind benefits from Worden’s excellent use of layering. “Be Brave,” for example, opens with a simple, hypnotic drumbeat. A single woodwind note is added, hovering over the percussion like a fog. Next comes Worden’s voice, smoky and low. Over the course of the song, deep horns, bells and plucked strings are added, bringing it to a strong climax by the end.

Both the instrumentation and Worden’s singing are excitingly theatrical. Often, the orchestral accompaniment conjures images of a performance of “Peter and the Wolf,” each instrument representing a memory, an idea or an emotion. In addition, Worden’s voice often becomes an instrument itself, like on “Ding Dang,” where the use of onomatopoeia gives the song an extra dimension by playing off the flute and guitar.

The album’s highlight is “There’s a Rat,” a 1960s-style protest song that draws heavily on America’s folk history. Worden uses vocal hiccups that spike her voice into its highest range to personify the rats in her home, a metaphor for the “bankers, lawyers and thieves.”

All Things Will Unwind comes to a close with “I Have Never Loved Someone,” a lullaby tribute to Worden’s newborn son. It presents Worden’s strong, operatic voice and her lyrical style, simple while conveying strong emotions present in the song. As it fades out, she repeats, “You’re OK,” comforting her son, herself and her listeners. And although she has addressed conflict, longing and pain in previous songs, it’s hard not to be convinced.