Junior Presumed Dead in Boating Incident

A Georgetown junior drowned Friday morning after falling from a boat at a Southwest, D.C. marina, university and law enforcement officials said Saturday.

According to a written statement released by Metropolitan Police Department, the drowning happened at 4:30 a.m. Friday when Robert “Bobby” Tremain (MSB ’06) fell from a pleasure cabin cruiser as the boat was attempting to dock at the James Creek arina at 200 V St., SW

The boat was occupied by eight other people and when Tremain fell, a female passenger jumped in the water in an attempt to rescue him, the statement said. She was unsuccessful and the police were immediately called to the scene.

Although divers from MPD’s Harbor Branch searched the area for several hours Friday morning, no body could be located and Tremain is presumed dead. It is unknown if alcohol may have been involved in the incident. The incident remains under investigation by MPD.

Todd Olson, vice president for student affairs, notified the university community in a broadcast e-mail Saturday afternoon.

At a Saturday evening information session in the Village C Alumni Lounge, Olson said the university was mobilizing its resources to help Tremain’s friends and family grieve appropriately. He said counselors as well as campus ministry officials are available 24 hours a day to provide services to those who may need them.

Olson also said the university is currently deciding how best to memorialize Tremain’s life. He said the university may hold a vigil or memorial for Tremain in the next week.

“In a case like this we consult with the family about their wishes. It is so terribly sad when we lose a member of our community,” Olson said.

Although he left the team this fall, Tremain was a goalie on Georgetown’s nationally ranked lacrosse team last season. He was a First Team All-American as a senior at Cranbrook High School in Bloomfield Hills, Mich.