Leave Mai Thai Behind

ENG GIN MOE FOR THE HOYA THE REAL DEAL Thaiphoon trumps usual favorites with a truly authentic experience.
                                 ENG GIN MOE FOR THE HOYA
THE REAL DEAL Thaiphoon trumps usual favorites with a truly authentic experience.

4/5 stars

Thai food has been a staple in my life, from that served at the large, ornate restaurant in my hometown of Yangon, Myanmar to the small, loud and homey eatery nestled under the subway tracks in Queens. When I first tasted Mai Thai, I was worried that its unauthentic, mediocre and expensive dishes were all I would taste for the near future. However, my fears were proven wrong when I discovered Thaiphoon in Dupont Circle.

Surprisingly, the same company owns both Mai Thai and Thaiphoon, but the quality of the food at Thaiphoon knocks the food at Mai Thai out of the park. Located just a few blocks from the Dupont Circle Metro Station, Thaiphoon boasts a warm and welcoming atmosphere in a modern, sleek glass building.

I consider Thaiphoon to be one of my favorite restaurants in Washington, D.C., and it is often my go-to restaurant for a casual meal when my friends and family are visiting; it is also a great location for parties and events.

What makes this place even better is that it is truly a hidden gem. Even during peak dinner times, the restaurant is never completely full, making it pretty easy to secure a table, so reservations aren’t required. The service is prompt and friendly, which adds to the overall friendly ambience.

Thaiphoon is reminiscent of my favorite Thai restaurants. The menu is traditional, with favorites such as spring rolls, hot and sour soup and steamed dumplings. More unique — but still noteworthy — dishes are available, such as the honey ginger duck, a half roasted duck served in a ginger sauce with shitake mushrooms, scallions and steamed spinach and the Bangkok Sea Breeze — a combination of shrimps, scallops, squids and mussels, stir-fried with celery, onion, scallions and egg in a yellow curry sauce.

The food is equally praiseworthy. Apart from it being relatively inexpensive, meaning that is a great option to get away from Leo’s for, it is both delicious and plentiful. I usually find myself struggling to finish my plate but always end up doing so just because I can’t bear to have wasted any.

A necessary appetizer at any Thai restaurant and something I always make sure to order when I go to Thaiphoon is the papaya salad. The salad is a beautiful arrangement of julienne green papaya, roasted peanuts, tomatoes, carrots and string beans in a spicy, light dressing. My only complaint about this dish is that it could have been more plentiful, but the low price is reflective of the portion given.

For my main dish, I usually order the Pad Thai or the Drunken Noodle. I firmly believe that the true test of a Thai restaurant is how good their Pad Thai is, since it is probably one of the most well-known Thai dishes and therefore usually held to relatively lower standards. Whenever I visit a new Thai venue, I usually order it to see whether or not I will return to that restaurant. Fortunately, Thaiphoon passed with high marks. My second test is how much I enjoy their Drunken Noodle, and my expectations were once again surpassed. The Drunken Noodle is made of wide rice noodles sauteed with meat and mixed with chili, basil leaves and tomatoes. For those who are not big fans of noodles or are on a gluten-free diet, the lemongrass chicken is a dish my mother swears by.

Thaiphoon is a place to bring friends and family to bond over a mutual appreciation for good food. Whatever the occasion, Thaiphoon reminds me of both of my homes and allows me to share my passion for Thai food with the people I have met here.