Makeover Your Thanksgiving Leftovers

If your family is anything like mine, you cooked more than you needed this Thanksgiving. Dreading the thought of throwing out your mother’s perfectly mashed potatoes and mouthwatering stuffing? Save the food and use it again in an entirely new way. You don’t want to just stick some of it in the microwave the next day — and the next day, and the next day. Let’s face it: A huge turkey dinner is tasty, but it becomes less special after the holiday celebration.

No matter how skilled you are as a chef, I guarantee that you can make something fresh and exciting with these leftovers. Once you get your creative juices flowing, I’m sure you can come up with great ideas for how to use your extra turkey, potatoes, stuffing and cranberry sauce. Here are two awesome recipes to get you started. The first, a family favorite, is an easy and quick lunch item that you can eat sitting around the kitchen table or in the car as you travel from Connecticut to Virginia —which I’m totally not doing tomorrow or anything. The second was given to me by my friend’s mother and would be a delicious meal for a large or small dinner.

The TCS (Turkey Cranberry Stuffing)

• Two pieces of white (or wheat) bread
  • A few slices of white-meat turkey
  • Canned cranberry sauce (I’m not a huge fan of the real stuff, but it’ll work, too)
  • 1 tablespoon of stuffing
  • Mayonnaise
  1. Take one piece of the bread and spread the mayonnaise over it. Then, do the same with the other half and the cranberry sauce.
  2. Place the turkey and stuffing in between the two pieces of bread.

Turkey Schnitzel with Leeks and Butter Sage Sauce (from christinascucina.blogspot.com)

• Slices of leftover turkey
  • Kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
  • 4 tablespoons olive oil (add more if needed)
  • 1 large (about 6 ounces) leek, cleaned and thinly sliced
  • 5 tablespoons butter, unsalted and cut into 1-tablespoon pieces
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil (not extra virgin)
  • 1/3 cup dry white wine
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 3 tablespoon heavy cream
  • 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh sage
  1. Soak turkey in water for a half-hour, then drain and place them on a cooling rack over the sink. Sprinkle both sides lightly with Kosher salt, leave for 15 minutes, and then rinse and pat dry with a paper towel
  2. While the turkey sits, begin to make the sage sauce
  3. Saute leeks in 1 tablespoon of butter and the olive oil over medium heat for a few minutes until soft. Increase the heat to medium height, and add the wine.
  4. After about a minute, add the chicken broth, and continue to cook to reduce by about half.
  5. Lower the burner to medium, add the cream and stir well.
  6. Begin adding one tablespoon of butter, one at a time, until each one has melted
  7. After all the butter has been added, stir in the sage, and add salt and pepper to taste
  8. As you make the sauce, place the flour, beaten egg and breadcrumbs in separate bowls (which can accommodate the size of the turkey cutlets).
  9. Begin dipping the cutlets in the flour, then coat them in egg and finally cover them with breadcrumbs. Set on a large sheet of wax paper.
  10. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a nonstick fry pan over medium-high heat, then begin frying cutlets until thoroughly cooked and golden brown on both sides.
  11. Place on paper towel-lined plate, and keep warm until ready to serve with sauce.
  12. Spoon leeks and sauce over schnitzel turkey cutlets, and serve hot.