Man Arrested for Unlawful Entry

The Department of Public Safety arrested a man for unlawful entry after he attempted to burglarize university townhouses on the 3700 block of Prospect St. yesterday afternoon.

According to DPS Chief of Police Jay Gruber, the DPS Community Action Team — a plainclothes unit focusing on crime in and around the Georgetown campus — was responsible for apprehending the suspect, James Edward McFerguson.

McFerguson, who was an extensive criminal record for breaking and entering as well as burglary, was seen by CAT knocking on several townhouse doors, all of which were locked. DPS officers then stopped him and discovered that he had a backpack filled with burglary tools including a small crow bar and knives. After being arrested, McFerguson was placed in the Second District jail with the help of the Metropolitan Police Department.

At the time of the incident, McFerguson was on probation and was wearing an ankle bracelet. According to Gruber, his only getaway vehicle was a bicycle.

Although the suspect attempted to enter multiple houses, he was only charged with one count of unlawful entry.

This latest crime comes amid a recent string of dorm burglaries and a public safety alert warning campus that two men may be targeting Georgetown students. Gruber said that McFerguson is not connected to either of those incidents.

However, Gruber noted that university seems to be heeding DPS’s warnings about locking doors.

“We’re thankful that the university community is taking our advice to heart,” Gruber said.