Man Wounded in P Street Shooting

A resident of Northeast D.C. was assaulted and shot only a block away from Georgetown’s main campus early Monday morning.

According to police accounts of the incident, Denrich Lites was standing near the 3400 block of P Street at about 3 a.m. when he was confronted by a man brandishing a gun and demanding money.

The suspect tried to steal Lites’ wrist watch and the two engaged in a short struggle during which Lites was struck with the gun, the Metropolitan Police Department incident report said. The report said that after the victim attempted to push the suspect a second time, the gun discharged, hitting the victim in his right foot.

Lites then walked the 11 blocks to The George Washington University Hospital where he was treated for his injuries and released. The bullet traveled “in and out” of his foot, according to the report.

Lites could not be reached for comment.

University officials said Wednesday that they were unaware that a shooting had occurred so close to campus.

David Morrell, vice president for university safety, said that he had not heard about the incident. He said that law enforcement officials do not always notify the university of violent crimes that have taken place near campus if students are not involved.

Area residents expressed concern about the shooting Wednesday evening but most said that they felt safe where they were living.

Although Ed Machir (MSB ’74), who lives on the 3400 block of P Street, said that some residents had banded together to pay security officers to patrol the vicinity, he called the neighborhood “a safe area.”

“In my opinion [DPS officers] should be over at Prospect Street at night where all the students and traffic from M Street are,” he said. “I don’t expect [DPS officers] to have a presence here.”

At least three other violent crimes have been reported near campus since early January. On Jan. 2 a woman was walking into her house on the 2800 block of Dumbarton Street when a suspect struck her with a silver handgun before fleeing the scene. Later that night a man robbed two people after telling them that “this is not your lucky day.” On Jan. 11 a suspect stole a woman’s purse after flashing a gun.

Law enforcement officials suspect that at least two of the crimes may be related.

– HOYA Staff Writer Fred Lestina contributed to this report