MEN’S AND WOMEN’S TENNIS | Creighton Downs Georgetown on the Road

The Creighton Bluejays defeated the Georgetown men’s and women’s tennis teams Feb. 25 in the Hoyas’ second Big East matchup of the season.

Neither contest was close: The women fell 1-6, and the men fell 2-5. Both teams dropped to a Big East record of 1-1 on the season with these losses.

The Hoyas traveled west to first face the University of Nebraska at Omaha on Feb. 24 ahead of this conference contest. The Georgetown men’s team (6-5, 1-1 Big East) suffered a 3-4 defeat at the hands of the Mavericks (8-4), while the Georgetown women’s team (5-4, 1-1 Big East) edged out Omaha (4-8) 4-3.

Coming off of this victory, the women’s team sustained an early blow against the Bluejays (8-2, 1-1 Big East), dropping a closely fought doubles point. Senior Chloe Bendetti and sophomore McHaley Ho scraped out a close 7-5 win in the top doubles position, but Creighton rallied with a late surge on the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles courts. Initially down 4-3, the Bluejays won 16 of the last 18 points across the two courts to overpower Georgetown’s junior Morgan Coburn and senior Olivia Ashton 7-6 on court No. 2 and first-years Ashley Kennedy and Paige Gilbert 7-5 on court No. 3. 

Georgetown’s outlook did not improve as the women turned to the singles matches. Bendetti earned the only victory for the Hoyas as she defeated Creighton’s Katherine Krueger 6-2, 7-5 in second singles. On the top court, junior Avantika Willy fell 6-2, 6-2 in straight sets to Creighton’s star player Malvika Shukla, who earned Big East Female Singles Player of the Week honors for the second time this spring for her stellar performance. 

Senior Agata Mikos, Kennedy, Gilbert and Coburn all fell to their respective Bluejay opponents in the singles. Mikos and Coburn managed to prevail in one set but ultimately lost their three-set battles 6-7, 6-0, 9-11 and 6-1, 3-6, 4-6 to Creighton’s Ana Paula Martinez and Leanne Kendall. Kennedy and Gilbert were downed by Creighton’s Valerie Negin and Bianca Rademacher in straight sets, losing 2-6, 3-6 and 5-7,-2-6, respectively. 

GUHoyas | The Georgetown men’s and women’s tennis teams were both overpowered by the Creighton Bluejays on the road.

Senior Kieran Foster and first-year Zamaan Moledina clinched the top doubles contest for the men, but their triumph ultimately proved to be futile. The Hoyas ultimately dropped the doubles point as sophomore Adhvyte Sharma and junior Derek Raskopf on court No. 2 and sophomores Akira Morgenstern and Jake Fellows on court No. 3 narrowly fell 4-6 to their Bluejay (5-3, 2-0 Big East) opposition. 

Georgetown fared slightly better in singles play, as Fellows defeated Creighton’s Casey Ross 6-3, 6-3 and Moledina defeated Oscar Alvarez 6-0, 7-6 on the second and third singles courts, respectively. 

However, Foster dropped his battle for first singles 7-6, 4-6, 2-6 to Creighton’s Matthew Lanahan. Sharma, Morgenstern and Raskopf followed suit, all falling to their Bluejay opponents. Although Sharma and Raskopf fell 0-6, 1-6 and 2-6, 4-6 in straight sets, Morgenstern displayed a valiant effort, narrowly falling 5-7, 7-5, 4-6 to Creighton’s Shin Inoue. 

Creighton’s victory marked the Bluejays’ fifth consecutive win after a rocky start to the season that saw them lose their first three matchups.

The Georgetown women’s team, currently undefeated at home (2-0), will stay local to take on some of its Washington, D.C. rivals. The Hoyas are scheduled to face Howard University (2-4) on March 3 at the Washington Tennis and Education Foundation at 1 p.m. Georgetown will then host friendly foe George Washington University (3-4-1) on March 5. 

The Hoya men are slated to return to the court to face the Butler Bulldogs (8-5) on March 8 in southern California for another conference matchup, continuing their timid season.