MEN’S BASKETBALL | GU to Face Two SEC Foes

FILE PHOTO: CHRIS BIEN/THE HOYA Rising sophomore Otto Porter will be counted on for more contributions this coming season.
FILE PHOTO: CHRIS BIEN/THE HOYA
Rising sophomore Otto Porter will be counted on for more contributions this coming season.

The schedule for the Georgetown men’s basketball team won’t be released until the fall, but two recent announcements have ensured that the Hoyas will get national exposure in the non-conference.

Georgetown revealed Thursday that the Blue and Gray will play the Florida on an aircraft carrier off the coast of Jacksonville, Fla., on Nov. 9.

The game’s proceeds will benefit transitional housing for homeless veterans as part of a week of Jacksonville events that celebrate America’s military families.

“It is a tremendous honor for our team to be involved with an event that will recognize the contributions of the United States Navy and all of our military,” Head Coach John Thompson III said in a statement.  “It will be an incredible learning experience for all involved with our program.  We appreciate the opportunity to participate in this historic game with Florida in Jacksonville.”

Florida is coming off a season that ended with a loss to Louisville in the Elite Eight. The Gators, coached by Billy Donovan, return two of their best players, rising senior guard Kenny Boynton and rising junior big man Patric Young.

Nov. 9, a Friday, is the first day of the college basketball season. According to Georgetown’s press release, the Florida game will be nationally televised, although no tip time or arrangements were announced.

Bookending the month for the Hoyas is a matchup with another SEC school, Tennessee. That game, scheduled for Nov. 30 at Verizon Center, is part of the SEC/Big East Challenge and will also likely be shown on televisions across the country.

The Volunteers spent last year reeling from the scandal-ridden departure of former Head Coach Bruce Pearl. His replacement, Cuonzo Martin, led the team to a 19-15 season that ended in the second round of the NIT.

Still, these two games — in addition to the championship rounds of the Legends Classic, held Nov. 19 and 20 — mean that the Hoyas will gain some big-game experience before beginning what is always a grueling Big East campaign.

That will prove invaluable for a team that is still young: Georgetown has no seniors on its roster.