MEN’S LACROSSE | GU Remains Undefeated for 6-0 Start

The Georgetown men’s lacrosse team remained unbeaten, defeating Marist over spring break. However, Georgetown’s planned match against Hofstra (2-2) on the road March 3 was indefinitely postponed as a result of weather and travel complications.

The Hoyas (6-0), now ranked No. 16 in the nation, dominated Marist (1-7) with a score of 13-6 on Cooper Field on March 6. The Hoyas now have more wins in their first six games than they did in all 14 last season.

The team was led by sophomore attack Jake Carraway’s career-high seven points, notching three goals and four assists. Junior attack Daniel Bucaro scored three goals as well, combined with an assist for four points.

Bucaro’s last goal gave him 109 points on his career, putting him in the top 20 for career points in program history. Both Bucaro and Carraway have recorded 16 goals and nine assists so far this season. Those numbers lead the team and are third in the Big East.

Several other Hoyas also got involved in the offense Tuesday. Junior attack Robert Clark and senior attack Matt Behrens added two goals each, and Clark also had an assist. Senior midfielder Craig Berge tallied a goal and two assists. Senior attack Zeke Morrill and senior faceoff specialist Peter Tagliaferri each found the back of the net once, and senior defender Kieran Jenkins was credited with his first career assist. The Blue and Gray also converted on a season-best 4-of-6 man-up opportunities.

On the other side of the ball, freshman defender Gibson Smith and senior midfielder Greg Galligan each tallied three caused turnovers, while Jenkins and Tagliaferri collected five ground balls each.

Senior goalie Nick Marrocco continues to be a dominating presence in the cage.  Marrocco recorded his fifth victory of the year, allowing only three goals in 50 minutes of game time. He also collected five saves.

Marrocco leads the Big East in save percentage among goalies with more than one game played with .584 percent. Georgetown leads the conference in overall save percentage with .573.

The Hoyas controlled the game from the outset. They scored four unanswered goals in the first quarter to go up 5-1 and added three in the second to take an 8-2 lead at the half. Another 5-1 run in the third coupled with a scoring drought from Marist all but sealed the victory.

Georgetown followed up its victory over Marist with a 12-9 victory at home against Hobart (2-4) on March 10 to remain undefeated to start the season.

Hobart and Georgetown traded goals throughout the first half, but Georgetown went into halftime leading 6-4. The Hoyas dominated the third quarter, opening with a 4-1 run before giving up another goal to make the score 10-6 entering the final frame.

After junior midfielder Lucas Wittenberg scored, bringing the score to 12-7 with just under nine minutes to play, the Hoyas sought to run out the clock. Still, Hobart scored two goals in one minute with just under two minutes left in the game.

Georgetown survived Hobart’s late push to win the game by three goals.

Bucaro led the Hoyas with five goals and two assists followed closely by Carraway, who scored three goals and tallied three assists. Wittenberg and junior attack Austin McDonald also contributed two goals apiece.

Marrocco played the whole game in the cage, allowing nine goals while tallying 12 saves in the team’s sixth consecutive win this season.

Georgetown’s next game is away at Drexel (2-3) on Saturday.