MEN’S SOCCER | Riemer to LA, Wiese Receives Top Award

FILE PHOTO: CHRIS GRIVAS/THE HOYA Senior Midfielder/forward Andy Riemer was selected by the LA Galaxy with the sixth pick of Tuesday’s MLS Supplemental Draft.
FILE PHOTO: CHRIS GRIVAS/THE HOYA
Senior midfielder/forward Andy Riemer was selected by the LA Galaxy with the sixth pick of Tuesday’s MLS Supplemental Draft.

Forward/midfielder Andy Riemer may have been ignored in last week’s MLS SuperDraft, but he was one of the first off the board Tuesday in the league’s Supplemental Draft, going sixth overall to the two-time reigning champion Los Angeles Galaxy. Head Coach Bruce Arena appears to be pretty high on the Virginia native — considering the fact that the Galaxy passed on their other two picks — but that doesn’t mean Riemer will not have a roster spot readily available when he makes it to Tinseltown.

Ireland captain and former Premier League star Robbie Keane leads the team at Riemer’s likely position up top, with promising 18-year-old Jack McBean among several young talents pushing for the other forward spot. Landon Donovan’s impending return from hiatus/meditation/self-discovery is only sure to make things more difficult. Even so, it is hard to think of a better place for Riemer to continue to develop than under Arena and alongside stars like Donovan and Keane in practice.

WIESE HONORED BY NSCAA

Riemer’s old coach on the Hilltop has had a week to remember as well. Brian Wiese, who arrived at Georgetown in 2006 after five years as an assistant at Notre Dame, was named the 2012 NSCAADivision I Coach of the Year on Friday thanks to his work in leading the Hoyas to the NCAA tournament and Big East championship games in

2012. It was the cherry on top of a banner year for Hoya soccer, as Wiese became the first Georgetown coach to ever bring home the honor following what was far and away the most successful season in school history.

“There’s so many good guys out there. It’s like every one of them, you say, ‘Well that guy should get it,’” said Wiese, who noted that he cast his ballot for Creighton coach Elmar Bolowich, “When you look at the field of coaches out there and what a lot of people have done, it’s really humbling and flattering.”

PETKE NAMED TO TOP JOB IN NY

Central midfielder Ian Christianson, meanwhile, has finally found his coach in New York. The club announced Thursday that two-year Assistant Coach Mike Petke would be taking over the reins on a permanent basis, thus shedding the interim tag he had been handed when the New York Red Bulls cut ties with the disappointing Hans Backe on Nov. 9.

Petke — a former MetroStars defender perhaps best known to the casual fan as a featured player in “Backyard Soccer” — now inherits a team that boasts scores of talent but little to show for it. One of two teams in league history to stock its roster with the maximum three designated players, New York has so far failed to capitalize on the quality it has at its disposal, most notably French legend Thierry Henry.

MULLER’S SELECTION A “DREAM”

In a Q&A with sjearthquakes.com that spanned everything from soccer to music and “The Goonies,”centerback Tommy Muller expressed his great anticipation of the road ahead.

“Growing up, I always wanted to be a professional soccer player, and that was always my answer to any career-related question,” Muller told the site. “As I went to Georgetown and developed further and further, I thought that it could be a reality. For me, it’s just like, man, this is a dream come true. I’ve dreamed about this day. It’s definitely exciting to start this next chapter, and I’m thankful that it’s in soccer.”