MEN’S TENNIS | GU Clinches Tourney Bid

The Georgetown men’s tennis team (7-12, 2-1 Big East) finished its season on a high note, clinching a 4-3 victory at Villanova (8-17, 0-2 Big East) on April 20. The win earned the Hoyas the seventh seed in the Big East tournament and a date with the second-seeded Notre Dame Fighting Irish.

All three doubles matches were competitive battles. Juniors Andrew Bruhn and Michael Clarke fell at No. 1 doubles, 8-5, while senior Tim Walsh and freshman Casey Distaso fell in a tight 9-7 match at second doubles.

Senior Bryan Miller and sophomore Charlie Caris clinched the Hoyas’ lone doubles victory, 8-6. Their win was not enough to make up for the two narrow defeats, though, and the Blue and Gray entered singles competition with a 0-1 deficit.

Despite losing the doubles point, Georgetown showed off its developing maturity in singles play, coming from behind to reel off four straight victories.

Clarke hung on in a three-set battle at first singles, winning 6-4, 3-6, 6-2. The thrillers continued as Caris fought hard to clench the third singles victory, 7-5, 7-6. No. 4 senior Bryan Miller fed off his teammates’ momentum, defeating his opponent in another three-set match, 6-4, 4-6, 6-0.

The Hoyas came away with a 4-3 victory after freshman Alex Friedlich’s impressive 6-2, 6-2 win at sixth singles.

Head Coach Gordie Ernst knew the importance of last week’s match against Villanova and was pleased with his team’s performance.

“We crushed Villanova. All our singles hands down won their matches,” Ernst said. “We knew we had to take care of business to get our No. 7 seed in the Big East, and we went out and beat them.”

The Blue and Gray kick off Big East tournament play in South Bend, Ind., today against second-seeded Notre Dame. For the second year in a row, the Fighting Irish play host to the tournament, the victor of which receives an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament.

Notre Dame ended its season with a close 3-4 loss against Louisville on April 23, after clinching wins at fourth, fifth and sixth singles. Despite the loss, Notre Dame comes into Friday’s match against Georgetown with years of experience and success.

Notre Dame’s star No. 1 singles player, junior Casey Watt, is ranked 58th nationally and recorded an 11-2 record in tournament play last year. With a tournament victory, the Fighting Irish would clinch their eighth Big East title.

Ernst knows his team is ready to take on whatever challenges are thrown at them in the Big East tournament.

“Right now, our players are all healthy, in good spirits and playing well,” he said. “I am confident good things can happen.”