MEN’S TENNIS | Hoyas Close Out the Season With a 2nd-Place Finish

The Georgetown men’s tennis team ended its fall slate with a tangible improvement and multiple strong individual performances at the Veterans Day College Challenge in Arlington, Va. last weekend. The Hoyas finished in second place out of three teams with a record of 16-7 in singles and 6-6 in doubles. 

In October, the Hoyas competed at the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Regionals, where they did not fare as well as they had at the Joe Hunt Invitational. Foster was able to advance to the round of 16 and junior Connor Lee made it to the round of 32. The team as a whole did not have any other noteworthy against the strong competition of this tournament. 

Georgetown was one of three teams that participated in the Veterans Day College Challenge, competing against The United States Military Academy and Air Force Academy, and Naval Academy hosted the tournament. As in the rest of the  season, the Hoyas performed better in the singles competition than in doubles play. Seven out of Georgetown’s nine singles competitors finished with winning records, including three undefeated records, and all of Georgetown’s undefeated competitors won each match in straight sets. 

Continuing to build upon a strong finish to the season last spring, junior Luke Ross finished with the best record on the team, going 3-0; Ross did not even need a tiebreak for any of his sets in a dominant performance. Also undefeated, sophomore Andrew Rozanov and Foster both went 2-0 on the weekend as they look to be mainstays in the Hoyas’ lineup of the future. Rozanov won both matches by a wide margin, whereas Foster won the first set of both matches in a tiebreak, before finishing his opponents off in the next set. 

GU Hoyas | Junior Luke Ross prepares to serve the ball. At the Veterans Day College Challenge this past weekend Ross finished with the best record on the team, dominating his sets to finish 3-0.

Georgetown also had four competitors finish with a winning record of 2-1. Lee was slotted as the top seed and finished with the best record among the top seeds. He won each of his first two matches before dropping his final match in three sets. Lee had his fair share of nail-biters this weekend, with five of his seven sets ending in tie-breakers. Senior Ian Witmer was able to come back after losing his first set in two straight matches before dropping his third and final match. Like their teammates, freshman Harry Yang and junior Mark Militzer both won their first two matches before losing their last match. 

The Hoyas’ final two competitors did not have the same success as their teammates, but remained competitive, keeping each of the individual sets close. Junior Rohan Kamdar was able to win his first match, but then finished with a final record of 1-2 as his competition got more difficult with each match, facing experienced opponents with track records of success at the national level. Despite finishing 0-2, sophomore Justin Cheun’s matches were all close in terms of games won. 

The tournament was Georgetown’s third and final tournament of the fall. The Hoyas started the season at the Joe Hunt Invitational in late September. There, Cheun finished as the Orange Flight co-champion, and freshman Kieran Foster was able to emerge victorious in all three of his matches. In doubles, Cheun and sophomore Carlos Grande also finished as co-champions of their flight. 

In doubles matches, Georgetown also had a reasonable performance – finishing 6-6 as a team – just not as good as in singles. The doubles matches lasted only one set. The pair of Foster and Witmer went 2-1, winning their first two matches before dropping their final match 6-4. Yang and Militzer also finished 2-1, including a dominant 6-0 win in their second match before running out of steam and dropping their final match of the weekend. 

Kamdar and Rozanov finished at 1-2, losing their first match in a tie-breaker, 7-5. Finally, the pair of Lee and Ross also finished 1-2, winning their first match 6-0 before losing the next two.