Middle of the Pack: Big East Preseason Coaches’ Poll

ALEXANDER BROWN/THE HOYA
ALEXANDER BROWN/THE HOYA
Although the revamped Big East lost its two powerhouses in Notre Dame and Connecticut and contains no teams in the top 25 of the Preseason Coaches’ Poll, the new conference includes four teams that made it to last year’s NCAA tournament . The Big East’s coaches backed DePaul to take the conference title this year, but this version of the conference features much more parity than the old Big East, and more than half of the league’s teams — including Georgetown — have a legitimate chance to make a run at the title.

1. DePaul

After earning a No. 10 seed in the NCAA Tournament last year, the Blue Demons return most of the firepower and look primed to make a run in March after failing to get past the first round last year. Junior guard Brittany Hrynko, the preseason Big East player of the year, will have plenty of help, as seven DePaul players and three starters return from last year’s team, including preseason all-league pick senior forward Jasmine Penny. At the helm for the Blue Demons is Head Coach Doug Bruno, who has led DePaul to 11 consecutive NCAA tournaments, including two Sweet 16 berths. After returning so much of their talent, the Blue Demons will consider another first-round exit a disappointment.

2. Creighton

Of all the teams in the new Big East, Creighton did the best in postseason play, reaching the second round of March Madness as a No. 10 seed and beating Georgetown’s archrival Syracuse to get there. Although the Hoyas may have cheered for the Bluejays from their couches last March, they certainly won’t be looking forward to the daunting matchups against the pride of Omaha this year. The preseason all-conference duo of sophomore guard Marissa Janning and senior forward Sarah Nelson will hope to lead the Big East’s westernmost school to a conference championship in its first season.

3. St. John’s

Like DePaul and Creighton, St. John’s earned itself a No. 10 seed in last year‘s tournament, falling to Dayton in the first round. The team’s tournament failure was tempered somewhat by a dynamite in-conference season last year, and it looks likely to again finish in the league’s upper echelon. The Johnnies graduated a pair of high-scoring guards in Shenneika Smith and Nadirah McKenith, the only players to average points in the double digits. They will return three starters, however, including a preseason all-conference pick in sophomore guard Aliyyah Handford.

After leading the team to a relatively successful season in his first year, Head Coach Joe Tartamella hopes that his Red Storm can repeat last year’s result by outperforming expectations during conference play.

4. Villanova

Among all teams in the new Big East, Villanova received the highest seed in the last season’s NCAA tournament, but the ninth-seeded Wildcats couldn’t stave off Michigan to reach the second round (missing the opportunity to get clobbered by Stanford). To add insult to the injury of its disappointing showing in the tournament, Villanova graduated its two leading scorers, forward Laura Sweeney and guard Rachel Roberts. However, the Wildcats hope that sophomore guard Caroline Coyer, a preseason all-conference selection, can fill the star role for the team. Coyer’s twin sister, Katherine, will also play a prominent role for Villanova, inevitably leading to confusion for the defenders assigned to guard the Coyer-Coyer backcourt.

5. Marquette

After falling short of the NCAA Tournament and playing in the WNIT last season, the Golden Eagles will hope to improve this season and book their tickets to March Madness. Marquette is led by 18th-year Head Coach Terri Mitchell, who has led the team to a 310-188 overall record during her tenure. Additionally, the Golden Eagles return two of their star players from last year, senior forward Katherine Plouffe and junior guard Arlesia Morse. Both players are tabbed as preseason all-Big East picks.

Although these Golden Eagles aren’t expected to make as much noise on the national scale as their male counterparts, they could ruffle some feathers within the Big East if Plouffe and Morse produce.

6. Georgetown

7. Butler

No matter how Butler performs this season, the Bulldog’s opponents will likely appreciate the new addition to the Big East because of the opportunity to play at the legendary Hinkle Fieldhouse. However, Butler is much more than an arena; the team will be returning nine players from last year’s WNIT team, including senior forward and leading scorer Daress McClung, a preseason all-conference pick. The Bulldog roster also boasts an exciting newcomer in 6-foot-4 freshman center Zoe Reichman. It will be interesting, however, to see if the team can handle the tougher competition of the Big East.

8. Providence

The Friars lead a group of three teams that will likely make up the Big East’s cellar this season. Providence is led by last year’s second-leading scorer, junior guard Tori Rule, a preseason all-Big East player, but there is not much depth, as the other two leading scorers for Providence last season, Symone Roberts and Brianna Edwards, have graduated. It will be another rebuilding year for second-year head coach Susan Robinson Fruchtl, but at least it is unlikely the Friars will end the season with a record as bad as last year’s.

9. Xavier

The Musketeers are the final newcomer to the Big East. They are led by 5-foot-3 senior point guard Shatyra Hawkes and senior shooting guard Ashley Wanninger. Led by new Head Coach Brian Neal, Xavier replaces Cincinnati as the Big East’s token Cincinnati-based team, but unfortunately, like last year’s Cincinnati squad (4-12 Big East), Xavier is likely to be a bottom-feeder in its first year in the conference.

10. Seton Hall

After three seasons at the helm for the Pirates, former Seton Hall head coach Anne Donovan left to coach for the WNBA’s Connecticut Suns. Donovan was replaced by Tony Bozzella, a Seton Hall alumnus and former Iona women’s basketball head coach. Junior point guard Ka-Deidre Simmons figures to lead the way, and the Pirates will be bolstered by redshirt freshman forward Sidney Cook, a highly ranked recruit who missed all of last season due to injury. Although they are unlikely to compete, the Pirates will hope to cause a few upsets during the conference season.