MONOD: On TV, Nerds Find Popularity

2989628380An austere-sounding announcer speaks over an eerie soundtrack. This is the beginning of nearly every modern political attack ad. Only this time, the target is different.  The announcer says, “Daenerys Targaryen: She says she’s the mother of dragons. But would you trust her with your children?” This is a parody of the wildly popular “Game of Thrones” television series, based on the books of author George R. R. Martin. The third season recently debuted on HBO with the highest ratings of any show on that network to date. Its popularity shows how viewers’ expectations of television have changed over the last decade.

“Game of Thrones” can best be described as a dark fantasy epic — complete with ample swearing and nudity because hey, it’s HBO. Yet amid the battles, dragons and ice zombies lies a show full of political intrigue. The great houses of Westeros, from the Starks to the Lannisters, all vie for the Iron Throne, backstabbing each other — or, in some cases, trying to cut off each other’s heads — along the way.

And it is telling that the breakout character in both the books and the show is not some mighty warrior. It is instead Tyrion Lannister, a man whose small size has earned him the name “the Imp.” Yet Tyrion uses his wit, charm and political skill to confound and surprise his enemies. The quiet moments between he and his equally conniving sister Cersei are some of the best in the show. A series that was marketed as an epic is now praised for its intimacy and the depth of its characters.

Yet “Game of Thrones” probably could not have existed even a decade ago. Producing a fantasy show that involved special effects on television or film was more expensive, and the results were almost uniformly terrible. Peter Jackson’s “Lord of the Rings” trilogy changed all this, with its third installment winning a record 11 Academy Awards. This was the moment that nerd culture finally asserted  itself in the larger popular culture. Suddenly, comics, video games, science fiction and fantasy became cool. Nowadays, the biggest movies are superhero or fantasy blockbusters. The most popular television shows are science fiction series, like “Doctor Who,” which most Americans had not even heard of a decade ago. Of course there is “Game of Thrones,” with a labyrinthine plot and complicated fantasy universe.  Its immense popularity is nerd culture’s ultimate vindication.

With everyone now unleashing his or her inner nerd, the way we view television has subtly changed. In an excellent piece in The New York Times, Frank Bruni describes this phenomenon as the rise of “slow TV.” In lieu of disappointing reality television, viewers want to engage in a complex show they can discuss with their friends. These shows include “Mad Men,” “The Killing” and “Game of Thrones.” The myth of cable news and reality TV is that viewers have short attention spans. “Game of Thrones” proves otherwise. The viewing public is crying out for deeper, more meaningful television.

Imagine how many problems we could solve if we applied our newfound love of all things complicated to things like government. A policy wonk can dream. And besides, in “Game of Thrones,” things actually get done. The answer to partisan gridlock: more dragons. But in all seriousness, to see stereotypically nerdy things become popular is exciting and heartwarming. It shows how much society can change in a very short time. While popular culture is just one facet of that society, its power cannot be dismissed. This brings to mind the common saying: Never be mean to a nerd, because you will probably end up working for one. With even more nerds out there, it has never seemed more apt.

Evan Monod is a junior in the College. This is the final appearance of SPOCK MEETS BARACK this semester.