Monroe Named Big East’s Top Rookie

NEW YORK – Georgetown did win something on Tuesday, but it was probably not what the Hoyas were looking for.

Freshman center Greg Monroe was named the Big East’s rookie of the year following the game, a small consolation for Monroe and the Hoyas.

onroe averaged 12.7 points and 6.6 rebounds coming into Tuesday’s Big East tournament game, in which he posted 13 points and 8 rebounds.

Coming into the season as one of the most highly touted freshman in the country, Monroe, who shared preseason rookie of the year with Louisville’s Samardo Samuels, was one of a few bright spots for Georgetown.

At the league awards ceremony, Monroe thanked league coaches, who vote on the awards, for the honor, but downplayed its importance.

“Not at all,” he said when asked if the award softened the blow of the Hoyas’ loss. “I never taken pride in any personal achievements. I’m all about winning. That is how I’ve been playing my whole life. I’m just trying to win games and it’s a very great honor. There are a lot of great rookies, I’m pretty sure it was a very hard decision and I am very grateful for it, but it doesn’t take away from any of the pain from the loss today.”

Said Head Coach John Thompson III: “It’s a tribute to him and his teammates. He’s had a big responsibility this year, coming in with all the attention that he came in with. For the most part he has responded well, remained selfless and worked extremely hard. So, obviously our year has been disappointing, I’m happy for him. I’m not sure what he said, but I’m sure he’s the first to tell you its not about individual honors, but at the same time, its not bad when you get them also.”

onroe quickly turned his attention to next season, emphasizing that for now, he plans to spend it in Blue and Gray.

“Yeah I definitely will be used to it,” Monroe said of the Big East’s physicality. “A lot more strength will help. After a year of experience at anything you do, coming into it next year, I’ll know what to expect, I’ll know a lot more about all the teams and the players, and I’ll definitely be ready for next year.”

onroe was also asked what he thought of all the mock NBA drafts that project him in the top-five.

“I laugh at that every time I see it,” he said. “Just, I don’t know what I’m doing, but you can’t be mad at that. I’m just getting prepared for next year, here, and I’ll worry about that later in life. I’m just worried about getting ready for next year.”

UConn’s Hasheem Thabeet and Pittsburgh’s DeJuan Blair shared player of the year honors. Is that an award to which Monroe aspires?

“Hopefully, if that’s what it takes,” he said. “They’re winning, they had very good seasons, they’re teams are having very good seasons. So if I can have the success that their teams are having this year, then I can be in position to win that award too.”