New Club Goes Brilliantly British

Georgetown seems to have a student group for every culture, from the Caribbean Culture Circle to the French Cultural Association. Last year, however, a group of students founded a club for a culture whose characteristics might not be as immediately apparent.
Although the Brilliantly British Club only received Student Activities Commission approval last week, it has already held five events this semester.
Club President Beatrice Fabris (COL ’16), who is from London, conceived the club this summer to fill a cultural gap and foster communal spirit.
“One of the main reasons we had the idea to set up this club was because there were quite a lot of people who thought ‘We speak the same language; we are friendly, similar places,'” Fabris said. “No, the United Kingdom and America are very different places, and they each have their own merits, don’t get me wrong. But we really wanted to sort of broaden everyone’s experience of the United Kingdom.”
Before receiving SAC approval last Monday, the club relied on funding from primarily New Club Development, a program within SAC. Club leaders also spent their own money to put on events.
Taking off quickly this semester, the club’s five events have included two movie nights, one funded and cosponsored by the International Relations Club, and a lecture by Paul Smith, the director of the British Council in the United States.
Additionally, club members tabled at Student Activities Fair, where more than 150 students signed up, and D.C. Reads Fall Fest on Nov. 3. The group has plans for at least six events next semester with SAC funding.
Before they established the club, Fabris and other club members contacted Georgetown’s U.K. recruitment head to receive the email addresses of accepted Georgetown students from the United Kingdom to offer congratulations.
The club is considering holding a meet-up in London for early acceptance students over winter break.
“This is because the official Georgetown meet-up was very crowded, and we want to give prospective U.K. students the chance to meet current British Georgetown students in a more student-friendly environment,” executive board member Michael Newton (SFS ’17) said.
The club also hopes to help connect students with internships abroad.
“The career center does not have good links at all with the U.K. They’re pretty much nonexistent, which is ridiculous considering we have so many alumni at least in London,” Treasurer Jeannine Rogers (COL ’16) said.
Brilliantly British members are happy with the progress they’ve made so far.
“We are so grateful and happy and proud of everything that the Georgetown students have given to us as an organization because we are new, and they embraced us and came to our events, all different nationalities. None of this could happen without their support and enthusiasm,” Fabris said.