New School Spin on Old School Fun

WGTB’s playlist is on shuffle this year — the on-campus radio station has changed things up, adding new events such as this Saturday’s Block Party on Copley Lawn from 2 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.

From the overhaul of the website to the new leadership style, the leaders of WGTB have made sure that the Georgetown campus notices the dynamic, relevant nature of the radio station.

Started in 1947, Georgetown Radio has grown beyond its FM signal to become an Internet-only radio station. Additionally, WGTB now hosts many on-campus events, like “iPod battles” and open mic nights. Events have been a great way to involve the larger campus community beyond its 170 DJs, twice as many as WGTB has had in the past, Events Coordinator Thayer Frechette (COL ’11) and General Manager Caroline Klibanoff (COL ’12) said.

But the WGTB crew is not done making changes yet.

The first ever Block Party will feature performances by local artists RAtheMC, Get a Tan, Reptar and Mercies (made up of John Russell [COL ‘09], Justin Scott [COL ‘10] and Ezra Finney [COL ‘11]).

Local DMV hip-hop artist RAtheMC reps the District with Go-Go elements infused in her unique sound. Athens-based Reptar mixes funk, soul, rock and Afro-pop with “catchy and danceable lyrics,” according to Frechette. Get a Tan is a surf rock, indie band, and the Mercies fill out the set with post-rock.

Bringing together an eclectic group of musicians for one concert is all a part of WGTB’s attempt to reach out to a more diverse crowd at Georgetown.

“[Georgetown] Radio is tagged as super indie,” Frechette said. “Originally, we wanted to have a hip-hop show, but we wanted to appeal to a wider range of people.”

The WGTB Block Party is not the first block party-themed event to hit the Hilltop. A few years ago, the Georgetown Block Party, the predecessor of Georgetown Day, was an annual tradition.

In addition to musical performances, face painting by the Georgetown Art Aficionados, water guns, lawn chairs and Justin Bieber stickers are just some of the things in store for the new block party’s debut. Representatives from D.C. music blogs “Brightest Young Things” and “Head Under Water” will be present as well.

To promote the upcoming event, the radio club has come up with a creative advertising campaign. A brainchild of Frechette’s and Technical Director Alex Podkul’s (COL ’13), a new promotional video will show on the club’s blog, “The Rotation,” on each day leading up to Saturday’s event.

As an on-campus organization, Georgetown Radio is not known for its serious demeanor, it’s known for its laid-back attitude and open mic nights. But over the past couple of years, a new crew of talented and creative leaders has developed a way to step up Radio’s game while maintaining the fun factor. The Block Party is just one of the new initiatives the club has undertaken. Klibanoff said that the event will be a success if the people who come have a good time and enjoy the music. “But it would be great if it helps get the word out about WGTB,” she adds.