New Staff Looks to Seize Opportunity

The beginning of a new term of editorial leadership at The Hoya can be described in many ways, but above all it is an opportunity. It is a time to look toward our future and consider how we can continue to improve the service we provide to our readers and this university. With our new staff, I am confident that we can make the most of this opportunity.

The Hoya made tremendous strides over the last year under the leadership of Editor-in-Chief ConnorGregoire (COL ’13). Looking further back, 92 years of Hoya staffers have worked hard to make this newspaper what it is today. But part of that tradition is being most concerned with what The Hoya can become tomorrow, and we are committed to continued growth and improvement over the next term.

We will continue to work to engage the Georgetown community and broaden our coverage. The Hoya is neither a university mouthpiece nor an antagonistic muckraker, but rather a student-run outlet for complete and unbiased news coverage. To earn your readership, we realize that we must first earn your respect, and we will work to strengthen our role as the news provider that this university expects and deserves.

The Hoya will be hiring new staff at the beginning of next semester, and we hope that all students — with or without experience in journalism — will consider applying. Even if you cannot join the staff full time, contributions from all members of the community are always welcome.

We have big shoes to fill and an ambitious mission in our sights, but this staff and I are enthusiastic to begin a new term at The Hoya and a new opportunity to build on its tradition.

Danny Funt (COL ’14)
Editor-in-Chief