No Students Hurt in Burleith Fire

A fire broke out early Sunday morning at a non-student residence at 1930 37th Street. While the extent of the damage is still unknown, no injuries were reported, according to Oscar Mendez, acting public information officer for D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services.

According to Director of Off-Campus Student Life Anne Koester, the university has no records of any Georgetown undergraduate, graduate or medical students living in the house in Burleith where the fire occurred.

A neighbor who requested anonymity said that she and her family tried to control the fire while two other neighbors rescued an occupant of the burning house, who was found dazed in the burning building according to the interviewed neighbor. These neighbors also notified the interviewed neighbor about the fire and called 911.

The fire was reported at 2:36 a.m., and the fire department responded three minutes later according to Mendez. Six fire trucks and at least two ambulances responded to the scene, along with the standard Metropolitan Police Department deployment. MPD taped off the 1900 block at the time, and fire trucks began to leave the residence at 3:40 a.m.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation, but Mendez said it started in the basement of the townhouse. No residents were found in the house when D.C. Fire and EMS responded to the scene, he added.

Hoya Staff Writers Upasana Kaku and Matt Strauss contributed to this report.