PAPPAS | Something Feels Amiss This World Cup

It’s never too early to start talking about the World Cup. With soccer’s biggest stage approaching in just under a month in Qatar, it’s time to start musing on what may be the most chaotic tournament yet. 

Soccer is an inherently dramatic sport. The flops, the gesticulations, the rivalries — theater makes football glorious, and the epitome of these histrionics is the World Cup. Before one, the world whips itself up into a frenzy. 

Yet this year, things feel somehow different: the anticipation that is usually palpable before a World Cup is conspicuously absent.

The explanation for this lies in the fact that Qatar is not meant to host a World Cup, for a myriad of reasons. Call me a purist, but the World Cup is a summer tournament and should be played accordingly. Because Qatar summers average 100 degrees Fahrenheit, a June-July tournament was not an option. Even in November, the matches will still be played in extremely high temperatures, forcing players to take longer to recover from previous matches or nagging injuries. The result? Lower-quality soccer as a result of this decision.

The caveat that a Qatar tourney would have to be in the late fall should have disqualified the country from hosting the competition entirely. But, since FIFA is fundamentally broken, this did not happen. 

Instead, the governing body corruptly awarded hosting rights to Qatar, a country with a history of migrant worker abuse, abhorrent treatment towards women and the LGBTQ+ community, and careful sportswashing strategy. Sportswashing is the practice of a corporation or nation-state using a prestigious international sport to improve its reputation through sponsorships, purchases of teams or hosting a major event.

As the tournament approaches, flaws in the event are becoming increasingly glaring: many fans with tickets have no place to stay, there is an energy crisis that dissolves Qatar’s promise of a climate-neutral World Cup and foreign workers are being mistreated. 

Qatar did not adequately plan to host hundreds of thousands of visitors, and while they will prioritize housing for fans with tickets, there is no telling whether they will be able to accommodate everyone. Hosting also required labor from two million migrant workers; in 2019, Amnesty International reported that they have been subjected to illegal recruiting practices and often haven’t been paid. 

Qatar’s Government Communication Office responded, saying that it has made changes which have successfully allowed workers to change jobs and receive salary increases. 

Don’t get me wrong, come Nov. 20, the opening match between Qatar and Ecuador, the world will become entranced. The criticisms will likely fade as the spectacle of the tournament kicks off. The Doha skyline will glitter and new stadiums will amaze. Viewers will forget the frustration of a droll summer without soccer and all of the injustices committed during the preparations. Once football begins, we will romanticize the event entirely. 

Am I a hypocrite to say that I will be a part of this large contingent? I am excited for it. Excited for the way international soccer will dominate the cultural zeitgeist for the months to come.

I wonder who will capture our hearts and minds this year through Cinderella runs, inspiring camaraderie and phenomenal performances. Hopefully it is the young U.S. men’s national team, whose lineup includes endless swoon-worthy footballers (I’m looking at you, Pulisic and Reyna) and the starpower to make a long run in the tournament. 

Nevertheless, I shouldn’t be having to involve myself in such moral quandaries. I shouldn’t be asking myself that question becuase FIFA shouldn’t have awarded hosting privileges to a country with corporal punishment laws for same-sex PDA and buying and drinking alcohol. But this is not news, and I am starting to sound like a broken record. 

I’m curious as to whether you are experiencing the same inner conflict. A part of me selfishly hopes you are, because if I can’t have unbridled excitement for the World Cup, then no one should.