Plea Bargain Struck Ahead of DMT Court Date

Charles Smith (SFS ‘14) and University of Richmond student John Perrone will likely plead guilty to violating federal and District law by manufacturing the drug Dimethyltryptamine on campus in October.

Smith, who is no longer enrolled at Georgetown according to university spokeswoman Julie Bataille, and Perrone were arrested on Oct. 23 for allegedly concocting the banned substance in Smith’s ninth-floor room in Harbin Hall.

At a hearing at D.C.’s U.S. District Court on Oct. 28, Smith and Perrone were released to the custody of their parents in Andover, Mass., until the next court date, scheduled for Jan. 24. Monday’s hearing was cancelled, according to the court’s criminal docket, however, as Smith and Perrone have agreed to a plea deal.

The two students’ lawyers filed a motion Thursday night stating that the defendants and government had reached an agreement, according to The Washington Post. Smith and Perrone are expected to sign the plea bargain within two weeks.

Danny Onorato, Smith’s lawyer, and Allen Dale, Perrone’s lawyer, both declined to comment.