Police: Sexual Assault Victim Likely Drugged

A female Georgetown student was sexually assaulted this weekend after she was exposed to a predatory drug, the Department of Public Safety announced Tuesday.

According to a DPS Public Safety Alert, the student was sexually assaulted at about 1 a.m. Sunday morning at a house on the 3300 block of Prospect Street.

University administrators and MPD declined to provide details of the incident.

DPS Director Darryl Harrison said that DPS officials “are coordinating with MPD on this.”

Vice President for University Safety David Morrell said that the perpetrator is suspected of using a predatory “date drug” to facilitate the assault.

Morrell added that the drugging likely “did not take place at a commercial establishment,” like a bar.

Students can take proactive steps to avoid assaults involving predatory drugs, Morrell said.

“Don’t leave with someone you don’t know, don’t let a stranger mix your drink, and don’t put your drink down and leave it unattended. . It just takes a moment to become a victim.”

Sexual Assault and Health Education coordinator Shannon Hunnicutt said that predatory drugs can be used in either alcoholic or non-alcoholic drinks and that alcohol itself can be a predatory drug.

Health Education Services is in the midst of launching a poster campaign to raise awareness about predatory drugs in order to help prevent sexual assaults like the one that happened this past Sunday, Hunnicutt said.

She also pointed to this week’s Take Back the Night campaign as one of the ways the university is trying to prevent sexual assaults.

“Take Back the Night is really a good way to raise awareness about sexual assault,” she said.

Hunnicutt warned, however, that sexual assaults can still happen despite increased awareness.

“Sometimes we can be really safe and then still have something happen,” she said.