Ripples of Water Necessary to Wash Down Meal

Located across from the historic Uptown Theater in Cleveland Park, Ripple aims to please trendy, green-minded foodies. The eatery, run by Executive Chef Logan Cox, is divided in two, with one side dedicated to snacking on a large selection of cheeses and meats and the other reserved for dining on dishes of unusual combinations made with interesting ingredients. Ripple maintains its mission to provide customers with organic, seasonal food that is produced at nine local sites in the D.C. area.

While this all sounds lovely and is undoubtedly highly commendable, do not be fooled. The menu, which changes every day, is modernly designed into three categories: one dot, two dots and three dots. Confusing, right? The one-dot dishes, which are served cold, and the two-dot dishes, which are served hot, are considered to be appetizers, and three-dot dishes represent the entrees.

However, as my waitress eloquently described, the dining at Ripple is “European-infused,” meaning that the dots denote the courses of the meal.

For most of us college kids, we’d like to skip the nonsense, head straight to the entree and chow down, but alas, the portions are “European-infused.” In other words, they are small. Diners will need to choose dishes from at least two of the three categories to satisfy one’s growling stomach.

In addition, the stylish menu is also bursting with words that will boggle your mind, such as cardamomidiazabalquinoa and fazzoletti. Confused, I relied on my waitress’ descriptions of the selections to guide me along, and together we determined a suitable set of courses from the menu.

The dishes were works of art with wonderful colors and creative plating designs. However, even with our two heads put together, at the end of the night I was disappointed in the taste department, which is ultimately the most important.

There were just too many unfamiliar flavors in odd combinations that it made it difficult for me to finish my plate. And because the one- and two-dot dishes range from $8-$17 and the three-dot dishes hit upward of $20, I will only recommend Ripple to the experimental food connoisseurs who are focused on watching their waists and not their wallets.