ROWING | Mulligan Steps In to Lead Women

Coach Kendall Mulligan comes to Georgetown following four seasons as the head rowing coach at Franklin & Marshall College, during which she led the men’s team to a fourth-place finish at the 2018 Mid-Atlantic Rowing Conference and vaulted the women’s team to a No. 15 ranking in the USRowing/Collegiate Rowing Coaches Association national poll in 2017.

Mulligan offered optimistic words for the Hoyas’ upcoming season.

“I am looking forward to coming on board with the Georgetown University women’s rowing team as its head coach and being part of such a strong legacy of academic excellence and competitive success,” Mulligan said in an interview with GUHoyas.

Mulligan was also a four-year rower in college, graduating from Washington College in 2012.  Director of Athletics Lee Reed was impressed with Mulligan’s pedigree.

“Kendall is an up-and-coming head coach who has already proven to be an effective leader and mentor for her student-athletes,” Reed said in an interview with GUHoyas. “Coming from Franklin & Marshall, she brings to Georgetown an understanding of how motivated athletes learn and best thrive in a competitive, athletic and academic environment.”

In one of her first moves as head coach, Mulligan named Paul Allbright as the new assistant coach and recruiting coordinator for the 2018-19 season.

“Coming on as our primary recruiting coordinator, Paul’s many years at the high school level will bring new connections to Georgetown,” Mulligan told GUHoyas. “His experience as a technical coach on the water will also serve as valuable as we look to make the shift to the next level. We are thrilled to be bringing Paul on board this fall.”

Allbright has extensive coaching experience at the junior level and is the founder and executive director of Resilient Rowing Club in Fairfax, Va.

This past summer, two Georgetown rowers were named to the U.S. Under 23 National Team. Senior Artym Hayda and junior Caroline O’Brien competed at the 2018 World Rowing Under 23 Championships this past July in Poznan, Poland. Hayda raced in the lightweight men’s double sculls, and O’Brien brought home gold in the lightweight women’s pair.

GUHOYAS
With the new women’s head coach and two returning U.S. Under 23 National Team rowers, the Georgetown men’s and women’s rowing teams will look to make noise in the Patriot League this season.

O’Brien and her partner posted a time of 7:43.62 in the finals, a race that they led from start to finish.

The Hoyas will lean on their experienced rowers and new coaches as they embark on their fall schedule.

CORRECTION: A previous version of this story incorrectly stated that Georgetown’s rowing teams compete in the Big East Conference. The photo used also incorrectly showed the women’s soccer team rowing.