SAILING | Hagood’s Sixth-Place Finish Highlights Navy Regatta

The Georgetown sailing team competed in three separate regattas this weekend, two at the United States Naval Academy and one at St. Mary’s College of Maryland, with the only commonality being a lack of breeze. The results were a mixed bag, with some individual performances overshadowing pedestrian team efforts.

As a general rule, the Hoyas prefer the open, breezy waters, and these ideal conditions weren’t present at all on the water. At Navy, the conditions were so calm that the race was called off on Saturday and completed on Sunday, when the wind proved to be only marginally more helpful.

Georgetown sent a pair of sophomores and one freshman to Navy. Sophomore Nancy Hagood finished the best of the Blue and Gray, placing a respectable sixth out of 18 contestants. Classmate Merrit Moran finished in 14th while freshman Alexis Coudert came in 17th.

Competition came from St. Mary’s, Old Dominion and Navy. The sole sailor from Hobart and William Smith Colleges took the regatta handily.

The second regatta at Navy showed why Georgetown has a right to be excited about the future. Freshman Alex Post finished in second place, qualifying for individual conference championships later this fall in the process.

“We have a group of five freshman that are all very good,” Head Coach Mike Callahan said. “Alex Post and [classmate] Katia DaSilva are amazingly talented.”

Sophomore Matt Gowell was the only other Hoya competing in the race. He placed 12th of the 19 sailors.

The race at St. Mary’s was the only team event over the weekend, where the Blue and Gray finished a disappointing 10th out of 18 schools. The regatta included teams from across the top 25, including top-ranked Boston College, who finished in third. Connecticut College won the race in a dramatic come-from-behind fashion, taking the final three races of the weekend to clinch the victory.

Still, the fall events are focused less on winning and more on competing. The Hoyas clearly have their work cut out for them going forward, but the team looks to prepare for the spring season.

“We try to focus not on winning but on spreading out sailors,” Callahan said. “We look to peak in the spring.”

Callahan said that the fall is a test to see where sailors need to improve to prepare for the spring regattas, which focus on team, rather than individual, competition. If this weekend’s events show anything, it’s that Callahan and his team are doing everything they can to get ready for the national championships in May.