SAILING | Hoyas’ Women’s Team Emerges Victorious in Annapolis

Last weekend brought great results for both Georgetown sailing teams. The women’s team defended its home waters at the Tom Curtis Memorial Regatta with a strong first-place finish. The coed team came in second place in the Truxtun Umsted Coed Showcase in Annapolis, Md.

The Tom Curtis Memorial Regatta kicked off Saturday, Oct. 5, with overcast skies and an easterly wind ranging from 4 to 12 knots. The event took place on the Potomac River, south of the Reagan Airport, where the wind varied by an inconsistent 45 degrees over the course of the day.

GUHOYAS | The Hoyas had a strong weekend at Navy’s home course.

Georgetown raced three separate boats in the regatta, giving the Hoyas a great chance at success. On Saturday, seven of the regatta’s 15 total races took place without a single protest. At the end of the day, the Georgetown boats took first and third, with a George Washington University boat finishing in second place. At the end of the seventh race and first day, GW held a tight lead with 30 points compared with the 32 and 39 of the two trailing Georgetown boats.

Sunday on the Potomac was another cloudy day but with southerly winds of 8 to 15 knots. The Georgetown boat that finished in third Saturday climbed to first by the 10th race and then held the position all the way to the end of the 15th with a commanding score of 78. The University of Pennsylvania Quakers managed to claw their way to a second-place finish at 101 points after a tough start to the regatta. GW fell to third at 103 with the two other Georgetown boats right on its heels at 104 and 105.

The Truxtun Umsted Coed Showcase in Annapolis, Md., also began Saturday with easterly winds at 3 to 12 knots. The first day ended after 10 races, and Georgetown held the lead over Navy. Georgetown maintained first place all the way through Saturday and most of Sunday.

Sunday brought 8 to 14 knot winds from the southeast. Georgetown kept up its dominant performance until the 17th race, when it was finally overtaken by Navy. Navy ended up winning after 18 grueling races with 183 points while the Hoyas trailed at 199. The College of Charleston took third place at 211.

Both teams have regattas this weekend as well. The women’s team will sail in the Women’s Showcase in either Annapolis or St. Mary’s City, Md. The coed team will travel to Norfolk, Va., for the Oyster Bowl. The Hoyas will be looking to build off the momentum generated from their impressive weekend.