Save The Fading Dialogue

Federal Bureau of Investigation Agency Director James Comey spoke at Gaston Hall last Thursday on the relationship between law enforcement and race, noting that national dialogue on this issue has unfortunately faded in recent events.
This speech, which was covered heavily by news outlets such as The New York Times, CNN and the Huffington Post, reminds Georgetown to invest in conversations of race.

As the university continues to struggle to foster a more diverse community at a predominantly white institution, this dialogue is particularly pertinent and must be carried out by students and administrators alike.

Comey’s remarks resonate in a nation still recovering from the racially charged killings of Michael Brown, Eric Garner and the deaths of New York Police officers Wenjian Liu and Rafael Ramos.

He reveals an uncomfortable truth, that aside from the initial protests that caught the attention of American citizens everywhere, many have already compartmentalized the issues at hand relating to law enforcement and race. The fact remains, however, that strife exists on both ends of this spectrum.

In response, Comey admitted that many in law enforcement develop a cynicism relating to race. For example, many law enforcement officials have incarcerated certain races so frequently that they develop suspicions aimed more at those races than at others.

What is more, the same racism behind the murders of Brown and others can be traced to seemingly simple beginnings.
Georgetown seeks to address a related issue with the creation of Provost Robert Groves’ committee on diversity, indicating an increasing awareness of the tension caused by inequality.

However, there remains much work left to do. Students are therefore urged to attend the events put on by organizations like GU Women of Color, Black House and GU Women in Leadership in an effort to further discussion and awareness of these issues.
While the semester is still fresh, we must make it a priority to carry on the dialogue or risk these issues leaving us divided and ignorant of the world around us.

Unresolved tension that prevails even today in Ferguson and Brooklyn alike cannot afford to be ignored any longer.