SOFTBALL | Georgetown Falls to ’Nova In Year’s Final Home Series

After honoring its two seniors on Senior Day, the Georgetown softball team (19-29, 3-12 Big East) looked to send them off with a triumph against Villanova (30-20, 4-12 Big East) Wednesday. TheHoyas hosted the Wildcats in their final home series of the year but ended up dropping both games of the doubleheader.

After the Blue and Gray honored senior pitcher Mackensey Carter and senior outfielder CaraSavarese for their four years of service to the program, the Wildcats got on the board first with an unearned run in the third inning. With two outs in the inning, Villanova junior first baseman Valerie Ortega singled and then scored when the next batter reached and advanced on a Georgetown error.

The Hoyas did not take long to respond, however. In the bottom of the inning, the Hoyas tied the game on two singles from junior first baseman Jordan Hansen and sophomore left fielder Taylor Koenig.

But Georgetown’s bats fell silent for the rest of the game, failing to produce any more hits. Villanova, on the other hand, thrived, totaling 11 hits in the game. Despite their strong offensive performance, the Wildcats could not add the winning run until the sixth, when they plated three more runners for the 4-1 victory.

The Hoyas come up short again in game two of the doubleheader, although that game proved to be much more competitive.

Freshman pitcher Lauren O’Leary started for Georgetown, but it turned into one of her worst outings of the season. Although she gave up 13 hits, her teammates kept the Hoyas in the game on offense. In fact, Georgetown’s bats had eight hits in the second game.

Still, the Wildcats put the Hoyas in a hole early when they took a lead in the second inning. Georgetown responded with one run in the third but Villanova answered right back with one run each in the fourth and fifth innings to take a three run lead.

The Hoyas staged a comeback in the sixth, putting them back in the hunt for the win. With two outs and runners on first and second, a passed ball advanced them to second and third, and a single up the middle from sophomore pinch hitter Samantha Findling scored both runners.

But despite the valiant effort, Georgetown didn’t get the extra run it needed to tie the game and dropped yet another one-run game.

The Hoyas will complete their season this weekend with a road trip to Louisville (44-2, 13-2 Big East). The Cardinals are currently ranked tenth in the nation, having lost only two games this season and none at home.

It will be extremely difficult for Georgetown to present much of a challenge to Louisville’s powerful offense and strong pitching. If the Hoyas were to eke out a win, it would be a huge upset.

Georgetown will kick off its final series tomorrow with a doubleheader. The first game is set to start at 2 p.m in Louisville, Ky.