SOFTBALL | Hoyas Beat Patriots

A rainy weekend forced four games to be postponed, but the Georgetown softball team (14-17) didn’t show any rust from the hiatus Wednesday when they tied George Mason at the top of the seventh and then claimed their first extra inning win.

Despite giving up two hits with two outs in the first inning, senior pitcher Mackensey Carter, who had the start for the Hoyas, was able to finish the first unscathed.

But the Patriots didn’t let their next opportunity pass them by. George Mason freshman second baseman Cori Prince advanced to third on a throwing error by Carter in the bottom of the second.

Prince crossed the plate when junior infielder Megan Blank singled to third. Blank’s run gave the Patriots a 1-0 lead, which they held until the top of the seventh, when the Hoyas offense was finally able to produce a run.

With pressure on, two outs and a final shot to put Georgetown back in the game, Georgetown freshman right fielder Megan Hyson got her second hit of the day, a home run to left center that tied the game at one.

“Megan is a ballplayer,” Head Coach Pat Conlan said. “She loves to play and it is evident in her performance.”

When George Mason couldn’t produce a run in the bottom of the seventh, the game headed to extras.

Carter started the eighth inning with a single to the pitcher. Then a fielding error and a walk loaded the bases for the Hoyas, who only had one out. But two pop-outs ended the eighth abruptly.

“We just started taking solid swings at good pitches, Carter said. That’s when good things start to happen.

Georgetown finally secured the win in the ninth, when sophomore center fielder Taylor Koenig singled and advanced to third on a single to right field from junior catcher Shikara Lowe. Carter had a fly out to center field in the next at-bat that gave Koenig enough time to score, putting the Hoyas up, 2-1.

Georgetown then held off George Mason in the bottom of the ninth to secure their fourth straight win.

“The late inning comeback and extra inning win showed the fight that this team has,” Conlan said. “They have a never-say-die attitude, and anything is possible until that last out is made.”

But the victory was just as attributable to freshman pitcher Lauren O’Leary, who entered the game in the fourth inning.

“Lauren came in and shut Mason down,” Conlan said. “We put her in difficult relief situations and she continues to respond.”

This weekend, the Hoyas will travel to Piscataway, N.J., to take on Big East opponent Rutgers (13,15, 2-3 Big East) in their first conference games this season.

Rutgers is coming off a doubleheader sweep of Big East opponent Seton Hall. Senior infielder Brittney Lindley leads the Scarlet Knights with a batting average of .422 and freshman pitcher Alyssa Landrith leads the pitching staff at 9-5.

“Rutgers always fights until the end so we just have to be ready to play good Georgetown softball,” Carter said.

Pocketing the win over George Mason helped convince Conlan that her team is ready for conference play.

“The team is in a good place. They have a great attitude and continue to work hard,” Conlan said. “They are ready for the Big East part of our schedule to begin.”

Georgetown’s first game is set for noon tomorrow in Piscataway.