SOFTBALL: Hoyas Hit Offensive Slump Against ‘Cuse, UMBC

After going on an offensive tear for five games in which they averaged nearly eight runs a game, the Hoyas (14-18, 4-2 Big East) have been in an offensive rut over the past week. They have been shut out in their past two games against Syracuse and UMBC, but Head Coach Pat Conlan is confident about her team’s improvement.

“We are beginning to put each part of the game together at the same time. Our hitting, defense and pitching is improving with every game.”

Georgetown has won seven of its past 11 games, including a four-game winning streak from Mar.ch 31 to April 2. After successful series against Connecticut and Syracuse, the Hoyas also now have a strong Big East conference record.

“I think we have had a great start in conference play against two tough team in UConn and Syracuse,” Conlan said of her recent in-conference success.

Georgetown’s pitching staff continues to be led by sophomore right-handed pitcher Mackensey Carter, who has allowed one earned run or less in her four appearances over the past six games.

“Mackensey is having a terrific season. When a pitcher can help herself offensively it makes her a double threat,” Conlan said.

Double-Header at George Mason

Over Easter break, the Hoyas traveled to Fairfax, Va., to take on George Mason (10-16) in a double-header. On March 31, the Blue and Gray routed George Mason in both games 12-0 and 4-0. The first game of the double-header featured yet another outstanding hitting and pitching performance from Carter. She pitched a one-hit shutout through the first three innings, and junior left-handed pitcher Melissa Conners pitched two innings of scoreless ball to end the game 12-0. Carter also went 2-for-2 with two RBIs, including a single in the first inning that drove in two runs.

The Hoyas posted another impressive pitching effort in the second game, but this time Georgetown was led by senior right-handed pitcher Jennifer Connell. Connell pitched all seven innings allowing only three hits and striking out 12. Junior catcher Jillian Webb led the Hoya offense with a two-run single in the second inning.

Three-Game Set Vs. Syracuse

April 2 and 3, Georgetown hosted Syracuse (17-15, 3-2 Big East) for three games. The series was kicked off with a thrilling opening matchup in which the Hoyas won 7-6 in nine innings. Webb continued her stellar hitting, supplying both the game-tying and game-winning hits. She went 2-for-5 in the game, tying the game in the seventh and notching the game-winner in the ninth.

“Jill has had some huge hits over the last few weeks. I am not suprised, because I believe she is a great hitter, and I see her potential everyday in practice,” Conlan said.

Carter was once again the victorious pitcher, tossing six shut-out innings from the third inning until the end of the game.

In the second game of the double-header, the Hoyas had another great offensive game, scoring two runs in both the fifth and sixth innings. The first three batters, senior shortstop Samantha Peters, senior second baseman Kelsie Hanson and Carter, went a combined 7-for-10. Carter herself went 4-for-4 while senior third baseman Demetria Cipriano knocked home three runs. The game ended 8-4 in favor of the Hoyas.

Georgetown’s hot hitting came to an end in the final game of the series last Saturday as the Hoyas lost 6-0. They fell behind in the first few innings and were not able to respond. Carter had yet another strong pitching performance, though, allowing only one run over the final four innings.

Loss in Baltimore

On Tuesday, the Hoyas visited UMBC but were once again shut out, 2-0. Carter surrendered just two runs, only one earned, over five innings and recorded Georgetown’s only hit of the game.