SOFTBALL: Hoyas Salvage Three-Game Series With Pitt, Grab Walk-Off Win

After surrendering the first run of the game in the top half of the 11th inning, the Hoyas refused to lay down and die. Senior third baseman Demetria Cipriano ripped a double to tie the game in the bottom half of the 11th. Ironically, after a game of impeccable pitching, the contest ended on a wild pitch that allowed junior infielder Kristi Preuss to score and give the Hoyas a thrilling 2-1 victory.

This exciting win over Pittsburgh capped a three-game series hosted by the Georgetown softball team (15-20, 5-4 Big East) at Guy Mason Field.

“I was extremely proud of our team. We competed hard and showed tremendous fight. It was a great win for our program,” Head Coach Pat Conlan said.

Unfortunately, this win was the only highlight for the Hoyas. Georgetown lost the first two games of the series, 3-2 and 9-1, respectively.

The Hoyas have had difficulty scoring recently. In their past five games, they have not been able to score more than two runs, averaging one run per game.

“Pitt had two outstanding pitchers that held us all weekend,” Conlan said, “We struggled to string multiple hits together. I thought Pitt was a very solid team and will get their share of conference wins this season.”

Sophomore right-handed pitcher Mackensey Carter remains a bright spot for the Hoyas. In the Hoyas’ win over Pittsburgh on Sunday, Carter blanked the Panthers, shutting them out over 11 innings. In her start in the first game of the series, she had another stellar outing, allowing just two earned runs over 10 innings. The right-hander now leads the Hoyas both offensively, with a .377 batting average, and defensively, with a 2.93 earned run average.

Conlan spoke highly of her sophomore pitcher: “Mackensey had a terrific weekend on the mound. She threw 21 innings over two games and limited Pitt to four runs. If we can get that type of performance from our pitchers every game we will have a chance to win every game we play.”

Senior right-handed pitcher Jennifer Connell follows closely behind with an impressive 3.40 earned run average and 6-7 record. Cipriano has knocked home a team-high 24 RBI so far this season, including the game-tying hit against Pittsburgh.

Like the final game of the series, the initial game of Georgetown’s series against the Panthers needed extra innings to decide the outcome. The Panthers got on the scoreboard first, scoring a run in the first and third innings. The Hoyas responded in the bottom of the third with an RBI single by senior shortstop Samantha Peters. The next inning, the Blue and Gray continued their comeback when Cipriano ripped an RBI double, scoring freshman outfielder Kelly Ciancotta. The game remained tied at 2-2 until the 10th inning when Pittsburgh scored on a wild pitch, winning 3-2.

The second game was close up until the fifth inning when the Panthers unleashed a six-run rally. Before that, the Hoyas were able to keep the game close. Carter singled in the top of the fifth inning to score senior second baseman Kelsie Hanson, cutting the score to 2-1. But Pittsburgh’s six-run fifth would end any chance of a Georgetown comeback.

The final game included late inning dramatics and extra innings. Carter dueled with Pittsburgh junior pitcher Alyssa O’Connell. The two pitchers shut down opposing batters for 10 innings, and Carter allowed only five hits and struck out four batters. The Hoyas were able to threaten and get runners on base in the sixth, seventh and eighth innings but failed to capitalize. In the 11th inning, though, the deadlock was broken. Off a wild pitch, the Hoyas were able to win 2-1.

The Hoyas now travel to Notre Dame for a three game series. Conlan and the Hoyas are excited for the challenge. “[Notre Dame] is at the top of the conference right now so it will be a challenge, but we are ready for it,” Conlan said.