SOFTBALL: Road Losses Pile Up For Hoyas

The Hoyas (7-14) have recently been suffering from a bad case of homesickness.

After starting off the month of March with a bang, Georgetown has struggled through a long stretch of road games in the middle of the month. At the beginning of March, the Hoyas won two of their first three games in Raleigh, N.C., over two strong opponents – Stony Brook (3-3) and North Carolina State (10-8). In the last game of the Wolfpack Challenge, however, Georgetown fell to Longwood 7-1, starting a seven-game losing streak.

Even further away from the Hilltop, the Hoyas struggled in Fresno, Calif., especially at the Bayer Cropscience Classic where they lost all three games. Head Coach Pat Conlan recognized the high quality of the Hoyas’ opponents.

“California was the toughest tournament we have had in our history here,” she said. “We played some good programs.”

In each loss, however, the Hoyas battled until the finish. So far this season, the Blue and Gray have lost eight games by one run, four of which were during this road trip to California.

At the UMBC Spring Classic this past weekend, Georgetown added to the list with two more one-run losses – on Friday to Delaware, 1-0, and Sunday to Saint Joseph’s, 3-2. “We have lost quite a few one-run games already this season,” Conlan said. “We are a little inconsistent. We have not been able to put our offense, defense and pitching all together.”

Conlan still remains very confident in her team, even though it has not played to its potential.

“It’s promising that we haven’t played our best softball, yet we have been very competitive,” she said. “We are just waiting for the day that all aspects come together.”

The Hoyas were able to snap their seven-game losing streak on Sunday in the first game of their double header. Georgetown soundly defeated Mount Saint Mary’s 7-3 behind the pitching of senior right-hander Jennifer Connell and the hitting of senior third baseman Demetria Cipriano.

Connell allowed two earned runs while Cipriano knocked home four runs. Both seniors have had outstanding years so far, as Cipriano is hitting a sizzling .345 and has amassed 12 RBIs, good for second on the team.

“[Cipriano] has had a great year for us so far,” Conlan said. “She is playing some great defense at third base.”

As for Connell, despite a 4-5 record, she has posted a strong 2.71 ERA so far this season.

Cipriano and Connell are two seniors that are part of a very strong class-the first recruited senior class in Georgetown program history.

“Our seniors have done a fantastic job,” Conlan said. “They have seen the growth and development of the program. We certainly want to send them off with best regards.”

Another notable senior contributor has been shortstop Samantha Peters, who leads the team in RBIs and runs scored with 13 in both categories.

Several underclassmen have also played substantial roles. Sophomore right-hander Mackensey Carter has made significant contributions on the mound and at the plate. Even though Carter has a record of 2-7, she has a 3.14 ERA and she is hitting .288 with seven RBIs. Carter’s play was crucial in Georgetown’s two wins in early March – she allowed only two runs in each win.

Freshman Shikara Lowe has also been another major hitter for the Hoyas, with a .318 average on the season.

Georgetown will finally return home on Thursday to face Rhode Island and will begin Big East play at Connecticut on Saturday.

“Playing on the road has helped our team’s camaraderie,” Conlan said. “But it will be better to play on our home field where we are comfortable and have played a lot.”