Student Dies in Skiing Accident

Facebook: Nathan Rom (SFS '19)
Facebook: Nathan Rom (SFS ’19)

Nathan Kittredge Rom (SFS ’19) died in a skiing accident Wednesday while on a family vacation in Colorado, according to a campuswide email. Rom was wearing a helmet when he hit a tree while skiing on Copper Mountain on Wednesday morning, according to Westword, a Denver news source.

Rom was pursuing a major in science, technology and international affairs. Outside the classroom, Rom worked the morning shift at Saxbys Coffee and was involved with the Georgetown University Boxing Club.

Rom attended Bishop O’Connell High School in Arlington, Va., where he was a member of the rowing and wrestling teams.  He scored a perfect 2400 on his SAT.

Before arriving at Georgetown, Rom took a gap year where he travelled around the world, doing things like working as a barista in Sydney, Australia, backpacking through the United Kingdom and picking grapes in Italy.

Rom also enjoyed music and making pottery and tie-dye.

Rom’s father is Associate Dean for Academic Affairs at the McCourt School of Public Policy Mark Rom. Rom’s brother is Chris Rom (COL ’16).

A memorial service for the Georgetown community will be held March 17 in Dahlgren Chapel. Rom’s funeral will be held March 24 in Arlington, Va.